Existing Member?

Thailand to Cambodia

SIHANOUKVILLE CAMBODIA

CAMBODIA | Friday, 20 May 2011 | Views [524] | Comments [1]

Welcome to the real world- welcome to Cambodia. I remember myself as a child never thinking we had quite enough-someone always had a little bit more. What is more ? What was more back then? A prettier dress? A Malvern star bike? A cassette player to tape the top 20 on a Sunday night onto a cassette so you had a tape of the latest music- that was then- what is more now?? The latest I POD, playstation, Wii or maybe that amazing pair of boardies or cool dress at City Beach surf, hell its only $100 !!!!!!! Come and visit Cambodia one day-what a beautiful race of people-dont pity the Khmer ppl- admire their strength-admire who they are and what they have endured. They are PROUD ppl. Our children are so lucky-last night I watched 2 little boys- the same age as my Grand sons Jimmy n Jay- walking the streets @ 9pm- begging for food-some cans to sell or a bit of money- I watched terrified at these little boys crossing the crazy roads-looking for whatever they could get to help their family-It was so touching watching the elder one take care of the little one-it bought tears to my eyes and made me appreciate even more how lucky we are back at home. Every moment of every day here makes you appreciate what we have even more.

We went in a Moto Taxi today with our friend Red to look at more of Sihanoukville- we went to a place called 'The airport resort' Whoaaaaa what a place that is !!! Red told us it is owned by and built by a Russian man who also OWNS this amazing island with a resort that you can see from land- about 1km on shore- he even BOUGHT the beach in front of the Airport Resort !!! Something WE NEVER expected to see in this country- that and Sokha Beach Resort at a special price of $150 per night off season thank you very much !!! Not for us-These so called "amazingly beautiful and EXPENSIVE" resorts took away the livelyhood of SOOOOOOOOOOOO many Khmer ppl- We were shocked when Red told us that these places not so long ago were just like Ocheuteal Beach-pretty sad we say...... Double edged sword maybe ??? Yep employment for some Khmer ppl- but what off the rest ?????

Oh yes we have fallen in LOVE with Cambodia and its people. :)

We cant wait for tomorrow !!!!!! We are going to Reds house to have a Khmer lunch with him, his wife and four children AND his whole family !!!!!!!! Cant wait to blog that !!!!!!

The Aussie Navy  is in Sihanoukville at the moment-great to hear some Aussie Accents !!!! We have fallen in love with Cambodia- and we will find it very difficult to leave when the time comes but in saying that Yes we both miss our families so much and think about you all every day............... XXXXXX

Cheers from Sihanoukville Cambodia.

Comments

1

Glad you are having a great time love to you both and stay safe xxxx

  narelle May 20, 2011 8:30 PM

About jobowman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.