Existing Member?

Ankur Kala

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 30 July 2010 | Views [185] | Scholarship Entry


Ankur Kala is a woman’s shelter and collective in Calcutta where I worked for three months as a volunteer.   The group of women is like Calcutta itself, a collective of religions and histories that come together to define their independence.  It is proudly not an NGO and eschews the victimisation of women instead focussing on refining skills that will ensure self-sufficiency.  The subjects of the piece were also involved in its making as we discussed how they wanted to be seen as well as giving space for them to express their stories.  The challenge then was to not show the women as victims.  Whilst some have endured the worst of human nature they refuse to be defined by it.  Their energy is put into creativity and community; singing, working and understanding.  I therefore sat back let the camera observe so that this would naturally come through on screen without the director manipulating the story.  My ambition as a documentarian is not to look for a story to tell, but to see the story in front of you crying out to be told.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About jobence


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.