Existing Member?

Retirement Travels

Lawn Hill

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 1 August 2016 | Views [490] | Comments [1]

Looking down onto the falls between the first and second gorges

Looking down onto the falls between the first and second gorges

Friday July 29 saw us ready to leave Burketown by 9:30am after last minute photos and an early coffee. We back tracked back towards Doomadgee to then take the dirt track south west towards Bowthorn Station and then south through Lawn Hill Station and ultimately past Adel’s Grove and into Lawn Hill Camping area which is part of Boodjamulla NP. The track through the station country was in really good condition and made for easy travelling – towing a caravan across this track would not be an issue.

On arrival at Lawn Hill we were to learn that our previously allocated numbered camping spots were no longer allocated to us, QLD NP have decided to do away with the process of allocating people a numbered spot so it is first in best dressed. We were all able to get spots as we had booked but it meant that we were spread all over the camp area. Our camping spot is a good one where there is plenty of sun through the day to excite the solar panels but we get nice shade under the awning of the camper later in the afternoon and we are only about 20 metres from a set of steps and a landing that gives us access to the water to launch the kayak or go for a swim.

So for the last 3 days we have relaxed and enjoyed the surrounds of what is a truely beautiful place – most likely our favourite. We have swam every day and paddled our kayak up the gorges to take in the spectacular scenery. To attempt to describe it would be futile, it is best to say to people “you must do it”. The contrasting colours of the red rocks, the green water and foliage and the deep blue sky make a picture that has you just sitting and taking it in as you paddle up the gorge. Some people take an easy option and pay about $30 per person to take a cruise up the first gorge in an electric barge but this is only half the picture. Bring a kayak or canoe or hire one and portage around the falls to go up into the second gorge and see it all.

On our second night we all made our way over to Adel’s Grove for dinner, it was a good night with nice meals although not what you might call true restaurant quality. Last night we had a late afternoon happy hour as it was the last day Allan and Helen would be with us, they departed for home early today.

The weather has been ideal whist we have been here, it has reached the low 30’s during the day then cools down at night so you get a good nights sleep.

Sadly late this afternoon we start the pack up to hit the road for home tomorrow. We will make our way south in the knowledge that it is going to get colder as each day passes – makes us wonder why we don’t just stay here or head back north again ................

Comments

1

Thanks John for keeping us very much up to date and entertained on all your wonderful adventures whilst travelling through Arnhem Land and Savannah Way. Travel home safely now, rugging up the closer to home you get and by all accounts you'll be home just in time for CENSUS night!

  Barry & Dot Aug 3, 2016 4:06 PM

About jmandjm


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.