Existing Member?

UNFOLDING

Mysore - the first week

INDIA | Saturday, 5 October 2013 | Views [416]

I've landed in Mysore...sort of. My travel experience has been quite easy; no delays or any issue of any kind has thwarted getting to my destinations.  It has really all fell into place with a minimum of effort.  After leaving Delhi and my Nadi Leaf Reading behind, I headed via taxi to Vrindavan.  After an almost 4 hour drive I arrived to check into the ashram I thought I was staying in. I decided instead at staying at the MVT just because I knew what I was getting.  I guess after staying with Sadhu Maharaja the MVT was luxury.  It's all in the perspective.  And that is what this journey is all about for me.  Gaining perspective in what's happened over the past few years and where I find myself today - MYSORE INIDA!  If someone told me that I'd be spending three months here I'd say they were cra cra.  Anyway, back to Vraj.  Vraj is a very special place and to try to experience it in a Sattvic way was challenging as what I experienced was a little bit not Sattvic as well.  Getting up at 3:30 to be at the temple at 4:10 for the first aarti was easier than I had anticipated.  Trying to put on a dhoti that early was not happening.  I did managed to put it on one morning after getting yet another lesson.  With great enthusiasm the morning after arriving I got up relatively late and went on the Vrindavan parikrama which is a 10km/6mile walk and I did it barefoot.  Towards the end of the parikrama I had for myself two big blisters on the bottom of my feet.  It was interesting the way the blisters showed how I heel strike the ground. Litterally limping back to my room covered in sweat as it was now quite hot out and all I could do is soak my feet and laugh.  Then the question came to me; okay, now how am I going to practice asana when I get to Mysore?  The remainder of my time in Vraj was spent either at the ISKCON mandir or with my friend Lalji who I met in February when I was in India last.  We drove around on his scooter and hung out during the day most days.  I was picked up to go back to the airport in Delhi where I was to fly to Bangalore and then another drive to Mysore.  Like I said, no problemsd at all!  It was a long exhausting day of travel from early morning to late at night.  I was exhausted by the time I finally got settled for two nights and then it hit.  Yup, first bout of stomach issues.  It kept me in until the afternoon when my friend Lekhan came by to get me out.  Had some coffee and something to eat.  Next day was self practice and back bending class.  My first with Ajay Kumar who I am studying Ashtanga Yoga with here in Mysore.  Between the morning practice and the back bending class I had to move from where I was staying to another place a bit closer to the shala.  I feel like I've landed at 28 Barbary Lane.  And instead of Mrs. Madrigal there's Mr. Rao.  He's a jovial man and very pleasant.  I'm sharing an apartment with a woman from Venezuala.  She is the sweetest person I have met in quite a long time.  Such a warm and beautiful woman.  Aura and I have become quie close in a very short period of time.  She also practices with Ajay and she has been coming to Mysore for several seasons now and has progressed to second series.  It's a whole other story about the Mysore yoga community and who you practice with.  I've just got an inkling but have yet to experience it.  Everyone has been extremely kind and gracious and I feel like I've landed as I said.  Trying to get into a routine of some sort and trying to find ways to be productive.  After being so busy in the extreme of NYC I find myself in India wondering what I'm doing here?  I know the answers I give myself but rhe real reason?  If there is one.  I find myself wanting to be busy but not in the same way as I was busy when I lived in NY. And I'm learning that everything truly is temporoary.  I may have to move onto yet another place to sleep.  Aura is expecting a friend to come and stay in the other bedroom.  I've gotten one reprieve so far and I may even get to stay.  Living here really makes me appreciate so many things that I take for granted.  Thank you Mother India for allowing me to realize how good life is!  And just in time.  There is the Dasara festival here in Mysore this week. The streets are alive with lights and color and lots of people. And my birthday coming up on Monday.  Perspective...

Tags: india, mysore, vrindavan

About jlauretano


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.