Existing Member?

Ode to the Feast: Food and Dralas in Andalucía

Day before day one ....

USA | Sunday, 17 October 2010 | Views [269] | Comments [8]

Preparing on every level: the packing; the leaving of home & cats in good hands; the full body-mind scan of how it feels to be heading out, more or less on my own, to a completely foreign place. Anticipation wells up, and it's like my mouth watering when I know I am about to have a dish of unfamiliar and likely amazing culinary delights placed in front of me. For now, this whole journey lives mostly in my imagination, except for the concrete details that have been arranged ahead of time. Though, with most communications having taken place primarily in the electronic realms, thus far, even those seem less-than-concrete. The plan begins with a Lufthansa flight out of DIA tomorrow (Sunday), and I expect to arrive in Málaga, on the Costa del Sol, on October 18th, after an overnight flight via Frankfurt, Germany. What is clear, sitting here on my couch next to my cat as she fervently cleans herself, a noticeable aroma of chickeny-fishy cat-breath approaching my olfactory organ (this is an ode to the senses, after all, pleasurable and not always so), is that there has been a dizzying array of mental and emotional gymnastics having taken place in the past four or more weeks in regard to taking this trip, in part because my trek across the wide Atlantic will be made on my own. Sin amigos. Yes, yes, I will be joining a cooking program in the Alpujarras, led by two women, one of whom I know from Boulder, so there is some bit of structure; I have a friend who has friends in Monachil (near Granada) whom I hope to meet, and there are people in Madrid with whom I've made contact; however, I am used to traveling with at least one other person whom I know well. Forget that I'm a grown woman for a moment; we all carry an assortment of characters within our psyche: the inner child(ren) and company, if you will, and I have both an adventurous travel-bug of an inner kid, and a terrified little sweetheart who wants someone to hold her hand. Both of whom have been tugging at the sleeves of my psyche for weeks now, so I give those inner characters their air time, and move on. A wise and trusted friend reminded me to "rest in the nature of unconditioned mind," such that an mature awareness, based in curiosity, mindfulness, and openness might take the lead. I'm game. That is a practice available to this mind ... and seems as good a place as any from which to venture forth. I feel like a helium balloon with a string attached, that was held by the warm tight grip of 6 year old who looked up into the endless blue-black sky, and with a delighted smile, let go of that string .....

Comments

1

Hand holding with your inner child, noun watering expectations and fantasy, a delightful body and mind with which to enjoy a beautiful and ancient land. Sending you my juicy and tender warrior's heart delicacy of feeling-thoughts to keep you company in the subtle realm as you wander open-eyed the cobbled market streets ofSpain. Muchos besos amiga!

  brooks Oct 19, 2010 12:49 AM

2

Darn this" smart" phone. That was meant to read "mouth watering". Though for a travel blog reporting on a culinary excursion, noun watering could fit, I guess.

  brooks Oct 19, 2010 12:52 AM

3

Dear B -- Enjoyed the "noun watering" choice (of) words ... something that dropped ripely from your fertile mind's garden! Thanks for the "subtle realm" company ... always good to have compatriots there/here.

  Gabrielle Oct 19, 2010 3:25 AM

4

I look forward to reading your journal and sharing your journey!

  Richard Oct 19, 2010 6:08 AM

5

Struggling with adding today's entry. Frustrating! One glass of vino blanco at the tapas bar, Citron, and 1 fussy iPad or website, and I can't get the journal writing page to cooperate ... dang! Of course! This could be my untrained techie muscles not getting me where I need to go ....

Richard, is that my brother in Pueblo, or Mr. Hartmann in Seattle?

  Gabrielle Oct 19, 2010 8:00 AM

6

I am SOooo envious. Thanks for keeping a blog on your trip so that I can live vicariously. Traveling alone gets a tad freaky at times - especially if you don't speak the language well, but the rewards are well worth it. Some of my best travel experiences have been on my own - lots of time for contemplation. Meals are the worst, so take out that ipad and pretend to be busy!!

  Cousin Robin Oct 19, 2010 9:32 AM

7

Sounds like a fun adventure. We were both crossing the Atlantic at the same time heading to Frankfurt. Me might have bumped into each other! How long will you be in Spain?

  Cristina Oct 19, 2010 9:12 PM

8

Richard Hartman, in Michigan until Friday.

  Richard H Oct 20, 2010 9:29 AM

About jinpag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.