Existing Member?

Donuts For Me and You

Morocco May 9-10

MOROCCO | Friday, 11 May 2007 | Views [424]

I landed in Casablanca yesterday on the 9th.  All the Moroccans have been very friendly and very helpful and interested in travellers.  A few have obviously tried to charge way to high for things that I want to buy, but overall the experience has been very good.

Casablanca has a huge mosque that is worth seeing.  They spent billions on it and interestingly wasn not even designed by a Muslim.  It is quite impressive though.  Then after sampling some mint tea and local chawarmas (quite good), i took a train to Marakesch and had a really good conversation with three guys who live in Marakesch and were going home on the train.

Arriving in Marakesch at night, the first thing that I thought was actually - TOURIST TRAP!  Lots of stores, lots of tourists, the square and market all seemed to be aimed at one thing and one thing only - suckering you in to cough up some cash.

However, upon awakening the next morning, I had a better impression.  It still felt quite touristy, but the city is really pretty and well done up...I would compare it to Santa Fe -- touristy, yes, but also very nice.  Saw lots of nice Berber rugs and handcrafts and sampled a bunch of local good eats (some good bread, fried fish, sausage, etc).  I also bought the local form of Tiger baum for $1.50.  The guy originally was asking $15.00.  I think I still probly overpaid but didnt feel like haggling anymore.

Everyone in the streets thinks Im Japanese and would shout Konichiwa at me.

Overall Marakesch is really pretty and I tried to take many pictures of the Medina, ie the old Muslim quarter where most of the sightseeing is at.

Tags: Sightseeing

About jingtzyh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.