Existing Member?

Travels

Delhi and Rishikesh

INDIA | Monday, 5 March 2012 | Views [590]

My mate Dave did the online blog thing when we were on a previous trip through the USA and part of Central America and I always took the piss, as everything that happened on our trip  he would say "thats going on the blog" in his strong South English Geezer accent. Maybe I took the piss as most of the time I had done something stupid (he thought) and I did not want everyone on the internet reading about it. Nevertheless I have come round to the idea mostly beause I feel I would actually read it after the trip, not like other trips I have done and wrote in the hand written journal from time to time and then never looked through it again. So here it is....
My trip is through India. March to June. Three months worth. So the first thing I should say is that this county is huge and often difficult, mostly frustrating to get around. It takes time to travel so I have already realised that three months is no way going to be long enough. That, and of course that some places that you visit you love so much you do not want to leave. That has happened to me at my first place which is Rishikesh-love, love, love it!  
When I first reached India I  had only literally landed (only the back wheels of the plane) in Delhi when the first manic sign I had heard about of India showed itself. The plane was still on the runway when all of a sudden everyone on the plane (all locals) just got up and started reaching for bags and pushing and shoving, the air stewards pushing them back shouting "sit down, sit down!" As I left the airport which was about 8pm I could not stop smiling. The smell, the people, cars beeping, hectic! Straight away I got that feeling of being in such a different country of where I am from and I am travelling again :)
Pahar Ganj was where I was staying In New Delhi where I was meeting my friend Dani. The walk from the train station, where the taxi dropped me off to the hotel was just amazing. The noise, smell, touts, beggars, kids playing cricket, rubbish, people brushing the dust and rubbish away to where? I do not know, little side stores selling fruit, clothes, cows,  all kinds of things and rickshaws (tuk tuks) everywere. Everyone wanting to talk to me. The hotel was shabby and in the middle of two streets within these tiny, dark alley ways. The first full day in India was Holy day where everyone throws coloured paints at each other. I was covered in paint. A local man said something to me wich I thought was really nice. "Happy Holy."he said. I said it back to him and he replied by saying. "Are you happy?" I replied "yes." So he replied "Good, enjoy this moment." 
Delhi was a cool city but I was happy to leave the next day on the sleeper train overnight to Rishikesh in the state of Uttarakhand
Rishikesh is one of the main places to go for the spirtual side of things. Ashrams, yoga (yoga capital of the world), meditation, gateway of trekking in the Himalayas and of course the Ganges. Also, of course the famous Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Ashram where the Beatles stayed in the late 60s. I stayed in Lakshman Jula on the Nortern Jula (bridge). The first thing I have noticed arriving early in the morning and crossing the hanging bridge was the massive power of the wind coming off the mountains and down the Ganges. It was like Mother Ganga was showing off her immense power. The sound of bells clanging and chanting of devotees which also happens in the evening was quite something and I will never forget it. Something that was very apparent to me staying at Rishikesh is as each day is passing I am loving it more and more.
My days consist of going to the 10am Satsang with Guru Prem Baba who is from Brasil. It starts off with about 100 people all sitting and singing with instruments for about 30mins.  Most of the time I did not know the words but that does not matter at all. Prem Baba has an amazing presence and he just talks about enlightenment, stories, answering letters that people write to him asking him questions about spirituality or anything really, using his translator. It finishes with more singing or a gift of food which we would all take turn in collecting off him. Every day I goI enjoy it more and more. After that we eat at the Ashram, for free. Dani and I then go down and sit at the Ganges for a while. My first dip in the Ganga was really cool, it was bloody freezing too! Then drinking Chai tea and watching the sun go down over the Ganges with the bells and chanting in the backround once more. Brilliant!
Today was a strange one. After Prem Baba, I was in the local shop buying some water and all of a sudden a local man, dressed in mostly black, tried to touch my forehead as well as Dani's head. He was trying to put black magic onto us. I then went to a coffee shop and this woman who looked and sounded very English came and sat next to me and begun telling me that she was hypnotized and everything she said was not her and it was a spirit, so not to listen to her..... wha? She asked what my plan was in the next two years? So I told her and she then got her little pebbles out and threw them on the table and then insisted in telling me what I should do. She said I should live in India and study through correspondance from a UK university. If I mentioned her name at the bank of England I would not even have to pay, I would be granted a scholarship! Excellent! As I made my escape her last words to me were, 'Also, if I tell you that I am a male, do not believe me as thats the spirit just talking and I cannot help what I say.'
One other character who I will never forget is a particular lady at the Prem Baba Satsungs. The first time I just heard alot of screaming and at first I thought it was just a baby but I then I saw a lady bending over. The second time was very strange as we were all singing at the end, she walked passed me with people aiding her. She was making noises I can only describe as those similar to the little girl out of the Exorcist when she is possessed, her eyes rolling back and then she made her way to the balcony, bends over and it was almost as if she was coughing out a ''spirit." The third time was much of the same. It  was all a little strange and maybe funny. 
I have seen some strange things that Westerners do in Holy places. It has become clear which I kind of already knew. It does seem that India does attract alot of lost or strange individuals who seem just to get caught up in it all just a bit too much. I love the spirtual side of India in Rishikesh but there are indeed some over fanatic, Western people. Apart from that I did meet some other really great people in Rishikesh such as Acacia, who has inspired me to take my spirtual life deeper and another Guru actually from the States who was attracted to my turtle necklace for some reason that my brother, Cameron gave to me.
I really did not want to leave but my friend Emelie was due in Delhi the next day so I was excited to see her so I left Rishikesh. 

 

About jimjam1


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.