Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Exotic Morocco

MOROCCO | Sunday, 6 September 2009 | Views [407]

Volubilis Roman Ruins

Volubilis Roman Ruins

Thursday 3rd September

Volubilis/Meknes/Rabat


Mohommad our driver was waiting for us ready to take us in his majic carpet to our next site -Volubis, a 2000 Roman ruin north of Fez. These ruins are another UNESCO site and that was originallly a thriving 4th century city with near perfect mosaics. We were met by our local guide, Abdel who was a font of information about this vast site.


Our Magic carpet then took us to Meknes, the 17th Century capitol of the country. Meknes is another UNESCO site with a smaller Medina than Faz but a beautiful walled city. We again picked up a local guide and we were fascinated with this beautiful city.


Then we headed to Rabat, the present capitol of the county. Mohammad walked us into the old city to our accommodation for the night, another old Riad. Before dinner we walked to the fort overlooking the Atlantic to watch the sunset. Beautiful.as this is Ramadan, at sunset the call to prayers came and suddenly it seemed that the oxygen had been sucked out of the town. We seemed to be the only people on the streets as everyone else was in the mosques for their prayers. We have another beautiful suite that reeks of the Arabian Nights.


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.