Existing Member?

adventures of a not so grey nomad

Out and about in Panama city

PANAMA | Monday, 16 August 2010 | Views [471]

Panama City 11-15 August 2010


We have spent the last few days looking around the city. Our hostel is not far from the major banking and commercial area of El Cangrejo and after a productive morning,when we actually managed to book and pay online for our air ticket to Ecuador, we walked around the corner dodging potholes, poles, broken concrete and other obstacles in the footpath and caught a bus to the major banking and commercial area just down the road. We were on the hunt for molas-the traditional style reverse applique , where layers of fabric are snipped away and the edges stitched down to create all sorts of patterns and designs,of the Kuna women from the San Blas islands and Lonely Planet mentions a shop specialising in these. We walked in to find HUNDREDS! How to choose! After two and a half hours and much deliberating and agonising we had chosen! After that effort we needed to eat-Lonely Planet again to the rescue-a Chinese vegetarian shop where you choose a portion for 60c from a selection of dishes- four selections for $US2.40 and free soup! So feeling well fed we set off to check out some other hostels in the nearby area-as recommended by Lonely Planet. We were happy with our current hostel but thought we may get something cheaper as we were sharing in a dorm. Unfortunately Lonely Planet got that wrong-after a fruitless walk around a maze of streets as directed by various helpful locals we found that they were no longer in the area. Never mind -we do like Casa de Carmen and it offers all we want so we decided to stay put!

We stopped for a coffee at McDonalds-a very flash large two storied McDonalds-and got chatting to Phil and Royce from the USA. They were a very friendly pair and they regaled us with stories of their time in Australia and NZ. She is a professor and ex-military and he is a retired flight instructor. He was a big man and I noticed he was wearing compression stockings. Turns out he had been in a paragliding accident in Peru a few years back and had spent a lot of time in hospital after breaking his ankle in 12 places and developing a nasty bone infection.

The next day we caught a cab ($US 3) and went to Casco Viejo-the old colonial part of town which is gradually being restored to its former glory after years of neglect. The cab driver seemed pleasant enough and after agreeing on a price we set off. He was talking to himself a little bit but we didn't take too much notice-until he started to talk more and more loudly and started becoming more agitated. loud religious programme on the radio wasn't helping! When he started hitting the steering wheel and brushing imaginary things/people ? off his shoulder -well then we were feeling nervous! But he managed to get us there through the busy traffic in one piece and he dropped us off in a small plaza in Casco Viejo. Squatters moved into the area when it was deserted by the elite of the day and now the government has to move them out in order to restore the once grand buildings. There is quite a police presence on the streets to protect tourists as in certain parts it is very dangerous for foreigners to venture. There is a lot of building and restoration activity going on and the parts that have been restored are very nice but it still a real mix of restored and ruined. I imagine in a few years it will be very trendy and touristy and expensive but for now you can see some are just brick or stone shells or facades-lots to be done yet. We came across a nice souvenir shop with a lovely young Panamanian lady who was offering good discounts so I made the most of it-a genuine good quality Panama hat in a box-perfect! They are made from a palm and originate in Ecuador! The difference in the quality is in the weave- the tighter the better-this enables them to be rolled without crushing.

We stopped for coffee and down came the rain-coffee became pizza and watching CNN news for a while until it had cleared. We walked around the sights including Iglesia De San Jose -where the famous Altar de Oro (Golden Altar) stands. Legend has it that when Henry Morgan sacked the original site of Panama (Panama Viejo) and the original site of the altar-a priest attempted to disguise the altar by painting it black. He told Morgan that another pirate had stolen it and even convinced Morgan to make a handsome donation for its replacement! Morgan is said to have told the priest”I don't know why but I think you are more of a pirate than I am”. The alter was later moved to its current site and is a huge floor to ceiling vision of gold.

We walked around the esplanade with great views of the Bridge of the Americas to Plaza de Francia which has monuments and statues depicting the role of the French in the construction of the canal. The plaza is dedicated to the 22000 workers who died -most killed by yellow fever and malaria. A Cuban doctor,Carlos J Finlay, discovered that the diseases were transmitted by mosquitoes and his work led to the eradication of the disease in Panama. There are also nine restored dungeons once used by the Spaniards then the Columbians-impressive stonework constructions. There were various stalls along the way-mostly run by Kuna women from the San Blas islands. They wear very distinctive traditional dress-a brightly coloured blouse with a high neck and puffed sleeves and identical mola work on the front and back body part. They have a piece of colourful fabric tied around their waist-much like a sarong- and wear strands of coloured little beads around their arms and legs which form geometric patterns. They wear gold jewellery and a gold nose stud in the septum and a red and yellow printed headscarf. When they marry they cut their hair and all the women we have seen have had short hair. They are very attractive women but very short-apparently the second shortest race after the Pygmy. The Kuna are self governing and autonomous with little interference from the government and live a very communal life with a strict set of rules-such as no marriage to non Kuna. They identify strongly with nature and believe true happiness is living in nature.

The sky was black and sure enough there was soon a torrential downpour. The usual brigade of sweepers set too with their brooms and swept it all away and we set off again for more sightseeing. We came across a group of musicians all in a dark uniform-possibly police or military cadets-all practising on their assorted instruments. We had hoped for a bit of a show but it seemed to be just a practice-nevertheless they were enjoying themselves. Eventually we went in search of a cab back to the hostel. It wasn't so easy this time -it was early evening and rush hour-no one wanted to drive us back-well not for the price we had gotten there for. We turned down the offer of an eight dollar ride-extortionate!- and eventually got one for $US4-if you are patient you can get the right price! Doors locked we headed towards home through a dangerous part of town. The driver was quite sane this time-but we did feel a twinge of concern when he pulled out a knife and started slicing the fingertips off a pair of black gloves! He gets cold hands in the aircon of the cab. Sometimes it just does not pay to have an active imagination!!! But again we arrived safe and sound-another day in the big city.

The next day we decided to check out the Causeway-a 2km stretch joining three small islands together. First a bus to Allbrook Terminal-we were really getting the hang of the bus system-one route at least. There was a big public health promotion on with different health education stalls set up. We lined up and had our BSL and BP checked along with many locals. There were elderly people dancing when we arrived-a Keep Active type of display. The old women were wearing long frilly dresses, high heels and full makeup. The men were wearing black trousers and a white tunic top. Most of them really seemed to be enjoying themselves waltzing around the floor. The next group of women were getting ready and helping each other with their hair. This involved putting it into two pigtails then putting in fancy gold combs to create a high framework affair then pinning in various beaded pearl bits to create a slightly Princess Leia look but with butterflies and pearls. They seemed to have a colour theme of white with either a green or orange accent. They wore a long finely pleated white skirt with a lacy petticoat underneath and a very frilly lacy white top with a green or orange pompom in front. They topped it all off with strands of gold chains and coins around their necks and plenty of gold jewelery. On their feet they wore flat satin orange or green slippers which they shuffled in as they danced around in a very graceful flowing dance. A nice young man with them told me they were “old ladies-over 55”!!! After lunch of delicious chow mein ($US 2.45) we got a taxi ($US 2.50) to the Causeway. We had been told it was 10 miles long but it is only 2 kms so we walked along it. It is used by joggers, cyclists,walkers and roller bladers but as it was still early afternoon we were virtually the only ones out enjoying the sea breeze and good views of the city skyline. We saw a few people on electric bikes and 4 seater bikes and a policeman on a little stepthru scooter with his red light on the seat behind him. After a soursop smoothie we thought we'd try the bus back to town. This time we were taken into the city centre where we had to figure out which bus to catch to get back to Via Espana-where we needed to be. It was busy with people and traffic everywhere and very unattractive with dirty ugly buildings. There were stalls selling BBQ sausages and kebabs-smoke in the air along with the traffic pollution. It was hot and noisy and chaotic but we did manage to find a bus we thought may get us back-heres hoping! It was rush hour-yet again-and the bus was only at a crawl at best. We were heading in the right direction and we recognised our part of town. It was so hot on the bus and we were going nowhere fast so we got off and walked eventually making it back after a visit to the supermarket.

You would think we'd had enough of exploring but the next day we headed out again-this time to the ferry dock near the Causeway to catch the 10.30 am ferry to Isla Taboga- The Island of Flowers-20 kms away. A taxi ($US 2) got us there with time to spare. As it was a Saturday there were a lot of day trippers-like ourselves-heading out for a bit of peace and quiet and sea air. We bought tickets $US11 return and got on board the slow ferry. Life jackets compulsory and plastic chairs screwed to the deck! We had to pass through the shipping lane into the Canal and we could see about 40 ships at anchor waiting their turn to go through the Canal. The hour long trip got us to Isla Taboga, which we had been told wonderful things about. It was a bit of a disappointment to say the least-the beach was strewn with flotsam and jetsam from the sea and the water was a bit murky looking. Obviously there are definite tides here unlike the Carribean beaches where there is barely a tide line. The sand was a brown yellow colour and it was quite rocky in places-the Caribbean it was not!! Of course-it is the Pacific!The path along the sea wall was lined with overgrown foliage and there were old sheds and buildings and piles of plant rubbish. But the island has a certain charm-there is only one road and no traffic apart from the odd ute or golf cart. The locals were setting up on the beach with their hired parasols and beach loungers at $US5 a pop but we wandered off for a look around and came across a group of workmen reinforcing the foundations of a sea wall. They were working hard in the hot sun-pushing a wheelbarrow full of concrete on the sand and mixing the concrete by hand with shovels. Isla Tabogas has quite a history but its claim to fame is that it has the second oldest church in the Western hemisphere, which unfortunately was shut. It was settled in 1515 by the Spanish just two years after Balboa first sighted the Pacific and before Panama City was built The island had a sheltered deep water port and ships coming from South America anchored here during the colonial era. It was also home for three months in 1886 for the famous French artist Paul Gaugin. Pizarro took off for Peru in 1524, the pirate Henry Morgan visited after sacking Panama city in 1671, and Sir Francis Drake also used the island. Despite the dubious water quality we did brave the water and had a swim as it was so hot. It may be the last swim in the Pacific for some time!

On the ferry trip back we had to stop and wait while three huge ships passed us on their way in and out of the canal. We saw a large cruise ship at anchor along with container ships and plenty of Panamanian vessels. Now for our challenge of the day-we were determined to conquer the bus system and get the bus right back to the hostel this time. We knew the drill by now so a bus back into town 25c and another bus 25c out to Via Espana. This time we did it-we did get off a stop too soon but we needed to visit the supermarket – we had it sussed -finally! So a job well done-third time lucky!


Sunday-a day in at our little oasis of calm and greenery in the midst of the noisy city and a day of blog!

About jilly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.