Existing Member?

adventures of a not so grey nomad

Cahuita on the Carribean

COSTA RICA | Monday, 9 August 2010 | Views [657]

Cahuita August 1


The bus station at Turrialba is new and modern and not too far from the town centre. We were lucky enough to get a lift from Jane and Fraser so after saying goodbye we wrote a few postcards and waited for the bus to Siquirres, 1 ½ hours away ($US2). We were settled on the bus when we had to get off and get on another bus-not enough passengers I think. The road climbed and wound its way over steep green hills-the scenery is lovely. Houses are cared for with lawns and hedges and gardens and the place looks reasonably prosperous and well kept. We passed a group of walkers on their way to Cartago where every 2nd August a celebration is held at La Basilica de Nuestra Senora de los Angeles -the holiest shrine in Costa Rica-for the Patron Saint of Costa Rica -La Negrita (the Black Virgin).It is a statuette of an indigenous Virgin Mary found on August 2, 1635 by a mulatto woman who took the statuette home twice though on each occasion it reappeared where she had first found it. The townspeople were so amazed by this miracle that they built a church on the very spot it was first found and in 1824 La Negrita was declared as Costa Ricas patron saint. It was stolen twice from the Basilica but each time it later reappeared on its altar. People believe it has curative powers and will offer metal charms( milagrosos) representing affected body parts to her in the hope they will be cured. So every year people walk 22 kms from San Jose to Cartago in the heat arriving on their knees. In fact people arrive from many places-some from as far away as Nicaragua-walking for up to a week. That could explain why our bus was empty first thing-no doubt they will be chock a block after the Mass when everyone heads home again!

We changed buses at Siquirres and headed off to Puerto Limon-an hour away ($US2). Now the landscape was flat with acres of banana plantations. There was a plant with hundreds of shipping containers and Chiquita banana logos everywhere-Limon must be the export port. There was also a Dole compound-perhaps a processing plant. We arrived in dirty scruffy Limon an hour later-there was rubbish everywhere and a very rundown look about the place. It was similar to Belize-old wooden two storied houses sagging at the seams, dogs roaming around, rubbish everywhere, muddy broken pavements and roads and just a general feel of neglect. We walked two blocks to yet another bus station which was surprisingly clean and modern. We had to wait an hour for our next bus to Cahuita so we bought a plato de ensalada ($US3) and had lunch. The bus arrived on time and we put our packs in the side compartment,which was wet, and got on board. The bus wasn't new or air conditioned but it had plenty of legroom – not common in Central American buses! This time the road followed the coast line and we could see the Caribbean Sea for much of the 43 kms to Cahuita. As we left Limon I noticed many lowset houses with large amounts of security grilles over every window and door. Limon has a reputation for muggers and pickpockets and obviously homeowners take no chances.

We arrived in Cahuita 40 minutes later- at a bus station in the middle of a very small town. It wasn't very clear which way to go but some English speaking girls helped us out. We walked along the main street looking for a place to stay-one hotel looked rather nice but at $US 40 a night way out of our price range. A skinny, unkempt woman heard us talking about a budget backpackers and offered to show us the way. She lead us down off the main street and we were feeling a bit uncomfortable as it was looking a bit scruffy and away from the action. We stopped at one potential place and thanked her for her help-she asked for some money to buy a meal-probably more likely for drugs. We didn't give her any but she was very nice about it and went on her way. This particular place looked nice with good security but it was full so we walked a bit further and found Surfside Cabinas, a slightly run down looking place with a sagging two storied wooden house in front and a line of cabinas running down the side of the section. We walked into a large section with shrubs and trees through large gates set in a high mesh fence and headed for an outdoor patio area where there were a number of black Afro-Carribean people sitting watching soccer on TV. We felt like we were intruding on a family gathering but they indicated we were OK to come in by a nod of the head and a wave in the direction of an older lady sitting in a chair with her wheelie walker parked in front of her loaded with pens, papers and bits and pieces. The place is run by matriarch Ava, who spends her day sitting on a sofa and presiding over all the comings and goings writing out receipts and dealing with all the accommodation. She rented us a clean spacious room with bathroom for $US9 per night. We also had use of the kitchen -granted not a flash kitchen-with an ancient stove, a fridge (barely cold) and a ramshackle set of shelves with an assortment of kitchen implements-some obviously not in regular use but a kitchen all the same. After dumping our bags we went for a walk about the place as it was now late afternoon. It had taken us about 6 hours of travelling but it was efficient, easy and hassle free-and had only cost us about $US7. The two little supermarkets are expensive and didn't have fruit or vege-we just bought a carton of milk (long life) and yoghurt for breakfast. On our way back we passed one of the many restaurant/bars in town and decided to have a cocktail as it was 2 for 1 happy hour-ever mindful of our budget! We ordered an Olmega-pineapple, vodka, triple sec and coconut cream -1500 ($US3) each . They were so good we ordered another one-and a plate of chips with melted cheese!

Although it was tempting to have another one we headed back and settled for a cup of tea and bed.


August 2


Today was a public holiday in Costa Rica so there were a lot of visitors in town. After catching up with the laundry-done by hand in a concrete tub affair and strung up outside our room-we booked our room for another night and headed for the beach. There is only a small part of the beach accessible for free-the rest of it is included in the Parque Nacional Cahuita. It is entry by donation and the office is just over a small wooden bridge which has a locked gate blocking access at night. Apparently the park service wanted to charge fees for entry but the locals protested by physically blocking the entrance to keep it under their control-and succeeded. There is an easy sandy coastal track which runs for 9 kms through the jungle-we only managed 3 kms there and 3kms back! But in the first kilometre we saw black howler monkeys-the loudest animal in the world and heard for 3 kms in dense forest- white faced Cappuchin monkeys and huge iguana in the trees. We were on the lookout for sloths but no luck! However we spotted an acquaintance from Turrialba who told us there were two three toed sloths in a tree just outside her hotel-sure enough when we walked back into the village-there they were-after we had been searching all day! Very odd ,very hairy, very slow moving creatures hanging upside down from a branch in a tree. It was a mother and her baby-the mother ate a few leaves and then moved-very slowly-up the branch a short distance then appeared to go to sleep-the baby following closely behind. By this time quite a group of tourists had gathered -all trying to get a good shot-difficult when the subject appears as a big hairy blob!.

We also saw a poisonous yellow eyelashed pitviper snake curled up on a tree branch-very pretty -as pretty as snake can be!

After showers and a cup of tea-thank goodness for a kitchen- we met up with Sandra and her daughter Rosie and had tea at a local restaurant. I opted for a fish Cosada-rice, beans, salad, fried plantain and a lovely thick piece of fresh fish-washed down with a fresh pineapple juice and a coffee- all for only 3000 calones-$US6. Still Costs Rica is expensive by Central American standards and so tomorrow we head to Panama-supposedly cheaper and just as beautiful. But first a border to negotiate-on our own!


Cahuita was a favourite fishing place for indigenous fishermen from Nicaragua and Panama who came each year hunting sea turtles . In 1828 William Smith, an Afro-Carribean from Bocas Del Toro, decided to settle permanently here with his family. Others followed and eventually there was small scale production of coconut, cacoa, subsistence agriculture, hunting and fishing-an economy based on respect for nature. Gradually more people came and settled and by 1882 there were 14 houses in the village. Many Jamaicans arrived after the completion of the railways in 1890 and in 1903 Panamanians arrived fleeing from the war between Panama and Colombia-they spoke English and were Protestants. The settlement now consisting of 25 houses was moved in 1915 to land donated donated by the then President of Costa Rica in gratitude to the people for rescuing him from a sinking ship.The population gradually grew and a coconut industry was formed with the product traded in Limon, Bocas Del Toro and Nicaragua by sea. In 1920 there was oil exploration by the Sinclair Oil Company but it amounted to nothing-the test drilling hole still remains. A road was built in 1967 which linked smaller communities and Cahuita to Penshurt and then in 1977 it was built further from Penshurt to Limon. Now the site of old Cahuita is a National Park with valuable rainforest, white beaches and coral reefs-managed by the community -the descendants of the first settlers.

About jilly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.