Existing Member?

adventures of a not so grey nomad

Honduras across the border to Nicuragua

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 25 July 2010 | Views [702]

Honduras -Nicaragua Sunday July 18


Another early start to beat the traffic -we left the hotel in Comayagua at 0620 and walked just across the road to the bus. Although it was a public bus we were the first pick up so we got the best of the seats. I had taken a travel sickness tablet as it was going to be a long day so that put me to sleep-as a result I didn't see much of the scenery. The little I did see was very green and lush and mountainous. No stock but some fields of plants that looked like small agave plants-blue and spiky. It is a plant used for making fibre for weaving. We changed buses in the capital??and spent the next few hours on a first class bus with air conditioning and a DVD player. We crossed the border into Nicaragua without any hassles-the bus drivers co-pilot collected everyones passport and departure tax of $US11 and dealt with the formalities. We had to get off the bus and wait for about 40 minutes but it was an opportunity to change money from Limpira into Cordobas. The money changers were swarming around us as we got off the bus-each one with a huge wad of notes in their hands and all offering their rate-open to negotiation! There were the usual collection of stalls selling food and trinkets and an ice cream man pushing his little chillybin of goodies and ringing his bell. It was very hot and we sought out the shade under the trees while we waited. One young Western tourist was sitting on a rock meditating and totally oblivious to what was going on-he got a few looks from some of the locals who must have wondered what on earth he was doing.

Three movies later we arrived in Managua-the capitol of Nicuragua. The bus stations are usually in the dodgiest part of town and this was no exception. It was in an area well known for crackheads and cocaine addicts. There was good security here with high gates and only passengers allowed in the terminal-bags can only be collected with a matching ticket. We were supposed to be catching another bus to Granada but it wasn't big enough for our group plus luggage so Ronnie had to negotiate another bus. The taxi driver who took her to sort it out demanded his 'commission' and got quite loud and aggressive until she paid up-this is usual throughout Central and South America-everyone expects money for any little service. Another hour travelling had us arriving in Granada. It was dark and wet by this time and everyone was hungry after a long uncomfortable travel day so it was a case of dumping the bags and out for tea. We settled for a toasted sandwich and coleslaw and chips at the Zoom Bar-sounded good -but we had a surprise when it arrived. The chips were a bag of potato crisps! Still it was good and much appreciated by all.

Granada-pop 84,773- is a Spanish colonial town founded in 1524 by the Spanish conquerer Francisco Hernandez Cordoba at the foot of Volcan Mombacho-one of the oldest colonial settlements of Central America and the oldest in Nicuragua. Hotel Cocibolco is situated in what remains of the historical centre of Granada. It was described as having “character” by Ronnie but we thought it was fine. Sure there was a hole in our ceiling, a window with no curtain and gaudy orange bed covers but it also had Wifi, a kitchen for guest use, free coffee and two gorgeous little ginger kittens who were very playful and mischievous!

Our one full day in Granada was spent on doing a day tour. Firstly a leisurely boat ride around some of the islets(Las Isletas) of Lago de Nicuragua or Lake Cocibolco, the 10th largest freshwater lake in the world and the 2nd largest in Latin America. It also has the distinction of being the only freshwater lake in the world with sharks-bull sharks to be precise. This is because the lake is connected to the Caribbean Sea via the San Juan river which made it of great strategic value to pirates and conquerers in the early days and enabled Granada to become a rich and important trade centre until the 19th century. There are 365 islets of volcanic origin in the lake-10,000 years ago-some privately owned and some inhabited by the indigenous population. Others have restaurants-one islet is still used as a cemetery for the local indigenous people and on Isla San Pablo there is a small fort -El Costillo-built in 1784 to guard against British incursions. We saw monkeys on Monkey Island-only four monkeys are allowed to live there. There is one female and if she has any babies they are taken away in order to keep the population down . The monkeys are privately owned and cared for with the owner feeding them regularly. There are power lines running from the islet and monkeys have been electrocuted in the past by climbing along the wires. We saw some kayakers paddle up to the islet and the monkeys came to them and took some food offered to them. When they tried to leave one monkey in paticular grabbed the front of the kayak and held on tight-he obviously didn't want to lose his food source-he was very strong and it took a bit of effort for the kayaker to get away! Some of the privately owned islets have very nice residences with pools, gardens and even a cell phone tower. A couple of very wealthy families have made their fortunes over the years through coffee, banks and car dealerships.

Next up was a trip to Parque Nacional Volcan Masaya and the most easily accessible active volcanoes in Nicuragua. There are two volcanoes-Masaya and Nindiri which together comprise five craters.Crater Santiago is still active and we saw clouds of volcanic fumes rising from the crater. We drove to the top of the volcanoes -632m-and then climbed 177 steps right to the edge to get an amazing view down into the crater itself. We could feel the toxic gases going into into our lungs as we climbed and its recommended you only stay for 20 minutes maximum which we did. There is a cross at the top overlooking Crater Santiago-originally placed there in the 16th century by a priest attempting to “exorcise the demons from the gates of hell”. Human sacrifices were made there in pre-Hispanic times and until as recently as the 1980s political prisoners were dropped from helicopters ,by the military regime in power, into the crater. The surrounding landscape is made up of volcanic rock and old lava flow making it quite eerie in places despite some vegetation managing to survive. We had a wander through the interesting park museum which detailed volcanic activity and facts and models. There is a certain species of parrot which lives inside the wall of the crater having adapted to the poisonous gas and there are plenty of bugs which survive as well.

We headed off to the town of Masaya and had lunch at the local artisans market-it was a slow day as many of the locals were out celebrating Liberation day-celebrated every 19th July commemorating the ousting of the cruel dictator Anastasio Somoza Garcia who ruled from 1937 until he was forced to resign by the Sandanista uprising and overtaking of Managua on July 19, 1979. We had seen hundreds of supporters along the highway-on top of chicken buses, trucks, cars, motorbikes and push bikes-all wearing the Sandinista colours of red and black and carrying the FSLN ( Frente Sandanista de Liberacion Nacional) The Sandanista Liberation Front flag. It was a huge celebration in Managua the stronghold of the party and it was broadcast on TV live throughout the day.

I ordered papas fritas y queso (chips and cheese) and that is what I got- just not quite the version I was expecting. Instead of lovely freshly fried potatoes with melted cheese on top I got a small plate of soft, warmish french fries with little cubes of deep fried cheese! Went down OK with the minute little puddle of ketchup on the side of the plate! Luckily I had a decent coffee to wash it down with and a nice crisp apple in my bag for pudding.

Our next treat was a pottery studio where pottery is made in the old traditional manner. Clay is worked by kneading it by feet and then a pot is thrown on a foot operated wheel. The pot is allowed to dry then the surface is polished by hand with a large seed pod from a particular tree. Natural colours made from minerals and rocks are applied in layers and polished between each application-the polish intensifies the colours. Then the pot is engraved by hand with a sharp stick and final colour is applied before the work is fired in the woodfired kiln. After it has cooled it is polished again-but this time with some wax instaed of the traditional seed. Naturally there was a shop with a huge selection of goodies-it was so hard to choose! But it had to be small and lightweight so I bought a little red engraved pot just the right size to carry home in my travel mug.

The last call of the day was to see a witch-there is a strong tradition and belief in witchcraft and there is a chain of villages in Masaya called the “Pueblos Brogos” (Bewitched Villages). Our witch was very short on smiles and English. Our tour guide for the day-Ramone_ had to interpret. We had a choice of cards or palms-I opted for cards. She had the oldest, tattiest , dirtiest set of cards I have ever seen. She got me to cut the pack three times then she laid them out before asking me to upturn each card. Then she sorted them and picked some up according to her own secret code. Her advice to me was to watch my health and to bathe myself three times for three days with juice of lemon and water to “clean myself”. Good advice from her!-her house was a mess! The lounge area we waited in was like a waiting room but with sawdust on the cracked and broken floor tiles. She was obviously doing OK as there were two tuk tuks in the garage and it was a big house. There were photos of kids graduating on the wall and certificates of a court justice-she is very well known with newspaper articles about her and is regarded as being very good by the locals. Nicaraguans are very superstitious by nature and witchcraft is regarded as part and parcel of life by some.

On the way back to Granada in the van we had a trivia quiz where ramone asked lots of questions about all the facts and figures he had been firing at us all day. It was fiercely contested with lots of laughs and I won a close contest- my prize- a CD of Nicuraguan music.

When we got back to town we walked to the Cathedral in the main plaza. I faced my fears yet again and climbed up the bell tower- but it doesn't get any easier! We had a great view of the sunset and the town centre. We then went and had a local cocktail specialty- a Macqua-made with white rum, orange and guava juice, ice topped with a cherry and a slice of orange-very strong and very good! Tea was nachos at the Zoom Bar and then it was back to the Dario Hotel for a coffee before heading home.


 

About jilly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.