Existing Member?

Jilly's adventures!

Fiji- Nadi to Sigatoka...

FIJI | Saturday, 22 November 2008 | Views [2425]

Inoke and I at Natandola beach.

Inoke and I at Natandola beach.

After returning from Malololeilei mum and I rented a piece of scrap metal with no suspension, also known by the company from whom we rented it as a "car" at Nadi airport. The car creaked on a flat surface like a four post bed on a wedding night, oh and did I mention the Petrol gauge was dysfunctional...which is apparently a minor detail the rental man didn't feel the need to mention!

Mum and I drove down to the Coral Coast from Nadi and found a place to stay called the Tambua Sands Resort. It was perfect (Just check out the postcard like pictures). It was located on the the edge of the beach and there were only five other tourists staying at the place. The Garderner/security man was convinced when we met that I was his wife to be; I belive he was equally convinced when his eyes fell upon the other Aussie chicks staying there too. I toyed with the idea while sipping on the coconut he had opened for me and decided that I had best wait a few more years before I settled down!

On Sunday Mum and I headed to Church and listened to the inspirational and amazing choir. It was out of this world. Mum was delighted when the church service (in Fijian) went for 2.5 hours....imagine what she would have done had it been in English! After which we drove around and got some lunch...on our way back to Nadi a wasp entered the open car window and stung my little ear.... well I looked like Dumbo from that point on! Bloody hurt!

On Monday I dropped mum at the airport bright and early and headed on an adventure with the bomb of a car! I headed to Natandola, a beautiful beach located about 60kms from Nadi. It was quite the adventure considering I was unsure how much petrol I had, the road was made of dirt and suspension was apparently a box I had not ticked on the rental agreement and I was taking directions from a toothless man with a machete....and we all know not to take directions from a man!!!! I did make it though...and it was wellworth the drive.

On arrival I was greeted by a group of men celebrating the end of the sugar cane cutting season. They invited me to drink some Kava and eat some lunch. I took them up on the lunch but was all kava'ed out! Lunch was a delicious curry and rice...and luckily with not a fork insight I was glad that my childhood in the Philippines had taught me the art of eatting rice with ones hands!

Afte lunch the men invited me to play soccer.... The Fijian Kangaroos vs the Fijian Indians. A few bruised shins later and the Fijian Kangaroos were victorious! I think it must have been quite unusual for a tourist to join them for lunch and soccer as I they were "secretly" videotaping my every move and giggling.... a little unnerving... but Youtube here I come!

After a delightful afternoon I headed back to Nadi picking up some hitch hikers along the way, whom invited me to their home to get some mangos. Yummy!

After that I drove back to Nadi...surely on empty and dropped off the rental car in time to catch my flight to the USA!

 

About jilly-bean

Paradise

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.