Existing Member?

Adventures on Rusinga Island

First day teaching

KENYA | Friday, 17 August 2012 | Views [436]

Wednesday 6/6

Today Mark and Alphonce left for Kisumu to buy some stuff for the community center project Mark is working on. So I was sort of left on my own, but it ended up being really awesome. So I spent essentially my entire day today teaching in the nursery school. There was language with middle class, maths with pre-unit, and creative time with baby class. I thought I would like baby class best because those 3 year olds are just so darn cute, but my favorite was actually pre-unit. Those kids really impressed me. It is not like I am surprised these kids are smart or anything, but I was under the impression nursery school was comparable to kindergarten. When I was in kindergarten, I was not doing multiplication and division. That did not come until like 3rd grade. They each have their own set of 100 sticks, and use these sticks to solve math problems. Also, the pre-unit kids are so much better-behaved compared to the other 2 classes. The baby class kept staring at me as a mzungu, and middle class, while eager to learn, was just a group of wild children. Although truly I felt most like a teacher in middle class today. I would draw a picture and they would give me the spelling of the word (three letters only). So we all had a grand time making fun of my really sorry excuses for drawings. Eventually I just would call on students to draw the picture for me, which was a good way to get them involved. But yes, pre-unit was my favorite. Then I went home, and on my way I was invited into a neighbor’s home for some dancing. It was fun, and I made some friends this way. This evening I spent time with June, and then Eve came over to have ladies night with us.  I have heard so many stories, and shared so much about the USA. Truly, I had a wonderful time hanging out with these terrific ladies. 

Tags: first day, meeting new people, nursery school, rusinga island, teacher

About jilljahns


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.