Existing Member?

Adventures on Rusinga Island

First Weekend!

KENYA | Friday, 17 August 2012 | Views [558]

Monday 6/4

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! These past few days have been quite busy for days off. On Saturday Mark and I went with Adam to Mbita, which is the closest town to us. We took a piki piki (or motorbike), which was an experience. From the outside it appears much more dangerous than it feels if you ride. You just have to balance (and I know some of you want to make a joke about my lack of balance now that I said that). We had lunch and walked around a bit, just trying to get more acquainted with the area. As mzungu we got plenty of stares and waves, but that is just to be expected. We got home in the early evening, and had a great time at dinner talking with Eve. She is a wonderful and very smart person who has come to the island to help out with the computer program. After enjoying her company the lovely June came in with her son, Alex. Alex is a very bright and very active five year old. He spoke to me a length in Luo, and although I could not understand him we had fun playing. He is also pretty good at speaking English, when he wants to.

 On Sunday Alphonce had some people coming to the house to repair a wall in the master bedroom. They were there pretty much all day, and now the house and all its contents are covered in a layer of dust. Geesh. Around 10:15 that morning mark and I went with a guy named Peter and a guy named Oliver to the local Lutheran church. It was quite small, with about 10 people outside our group in attendance, but everyone was so very kind. The pastor even had Oliver come up and translate the message into English for us. After church we went to Alphonce’s other house for the day and night. He has three kids: Bianca, Emily, and the brand new Maxwell (born May 29). They are fun, but quite a handful. Particularly Emily. Also at the house was Alphonce’s niece and nephew, Lette and Lenox (twins). They too were lots of fun, and incredibly bright. At dusk Mark, Alphonce, and I went in search of a hippo, but had no luck finding one. However, we have made plans to look for one every evening until we find one. We have been told they are quite rampant, so we shall see. 

Tags: children, hippo, island, rusinga island, town, village

About jilljahns


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.