Existing Member?

Jill and Tim

Manhandled by a Grandma

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 29 November 2007 | Views [717] | Comments [7]

Here in San Pedro people say there is a different time scale. San Pedro time is fifteen minutes late, if at all, and it takes alot of thought in the mornings just to figure out what day it is, let alone the date or really just how long we have been here. I think it is two weeks, but correct me if I am wrong. The election came and went while I thought it was still thursday in Australia. Maxine´s seat was well and truely sorted by the time I found out about our new prime minister. It is lovely to know that it´s safe to come home again.

We have filled in our time pretty well here. A week of spanish lessons that has given me enough spanish to waffle out mangled sentences. Next week we will return for another round of lessons with just 3 hours in the morning rather than 4, hopefully we can demangle the sentances a little but. The lessons are in the garden by the lake, with just Tim and I, and out teacher Noberto. We do our best to distract him from grammer with our impressive stories of kangaroos and our questions about the animals here.

But first, before the next round of lessons we are off on a trek for three days. We start in Quetzaltenago and walk back here to Lake Atitlan through the mountains. We will be walking throught the little rural villages, up into cloudforests and down into river valleys, staying with local families on the way. Up in the highlands here is stronghold of the maya, not the spanish, and most of the women still wear the traditional woven fabric skirts and embroidered blouses. Some men still wear the bright woven fabrics with intricate desighs too, but sometimes made into wild west rodeo shirts! What a cultural blend.  

We have visited a few different towns over the last few days, and there is a slightly different style of dress in each, along with a different local language, which is generally the first language, not spanish as I thought. And different hights too. I am finally tall in San Pedro, and a giant in Solola! At the local market I tower. Not that anyone is scared, the markets are crowded and squishy, I am pushed and shoved, I turn to see who it was, and time and time again it is a little old lady up to my ribs. It´s a special feeling being manhandled by a grandma!  

So for now goodbye

Lot of love

Jillian

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Jillian & Tim
Great to hear you are there and safe. I know how that first airport arrival feels. Ours was Santiago, probably a fairly gentle start. Best of luck with the Spanish -- hope you do better than I did, after a while (about 3 weeks) I just stopped improving.
As you can see, we found we could get into this blog.
Mum was very relieved about the election -- I don't think she (or I) was quite ready to live in Guatemala. Laura was ecstatic, especially with little Johnny losing. I just hope we haven't bought a lemon in the other bloke. He is endorsing the pulp mill in Tas, whic is supported by the same chief scientist who has pushed for GM canola -- now approved in NSW & Vic. He also seems to be very dictatorial. Still, he's said lots of the right stuff, just gotta keep the bastard honest.
Anyhow, Laura has been up to see her play raindrops & brought her friend Shanelle. Was a really nice visit if rushed. Her play was great & the cousins came & enjoyed it.
There has been some return to sanity at the Library, and we have decided to stay for the time being. Might have to quit in about May/June if they won't let us have enough ime off, because we have decided to go to Europe. Par of the time would be a canal boat trip with the Oatley. No idea what else we would do, but we're not going to come back in 3 weeks.
Murray has finished exams, but has no plans that we know about
All well here; have a great time.
love Mum & Dad

  Dad & Mum Nov 29, 2007 6:26 PM

2

Dearest Jillian and Tim,

So sorry to hear you are sick Tim. Lucky you are at Amanda's. Lets hope you will both be fine from now on.

WOW, what brilliant marks! Well done! I bet you are still smiling! We are very proud! WELL DONE!


I loved the vision of the little old lady!
Did you get a photo? We found lots of people were OK with taking their photo as long as you asked and are prepared to sometimes give money. I find the people photos the most interesting.

What's the weather like? Is it really hot and steamy? How is the food? Can anyone speak English?

We are still in limbo waiting for the buyers to sell their house but we have started to clean out the shed and need to get serious about packing because we don't want to get caught with a huge rush. Christmas will be happening all at once. Surprisingly the shops don't have many decorations, the main street in bare and people don't seem to be wearng all that Christmas clothing. (not a bad thing).

Remember the weekend we saw you and I told you about the '5' of us having interviews and I was very upset. The next week there was a 'explosion' because the true picture came out. Many staff have been reprimanded and now seem to be acting human again. I now feel fine and we hope it will remain. I have written a fairly strong letter about mine and others unfair treatment and am waiting for an apology. (not holding breath).

This week I had to move books again and I was thinking about you Jillian and when we worked so well together.

What did you think of our news? The Oatley crowd in a canal boat for a week in France - June 08. At first John was not sure but now it is YES!

Now we have to decide what else we want to see, how long,etc. Murray graduates in April and Coralie may?? get married Oct 08. You know me I'd go tomorrow and visit you guys on the way.

We loved that weekend in Melbourne!

Felice Navidad.
Mum and Dad.

  ADRIENNE SMITH Nov 30, 2007 11:34 PM

3

Well well... quite an impressive story so far!
I don't think it's possible to compete with harassing rib digging Grandma stories.

Nope, not a chance.

I hope you remain sucessful at avoiding to learn Spanish grammar, i'll be buggered if i could ever get a grip on the German grammer, so any attempts at tricky dicky Spanish conversations might be fraught with danger!

P.S. Hope (ahem bullshit, no need to hope!) your results were good Jill, and that we all collectively aced our subjects!

See ya!

  Oscar Dec 1, 2007 10:51 AM

4

hello!

Your Mum and Dad and Murray are here and we are all so full after a roast dinner, wish you and tim where here to enjoy it with us!

we have been reading about your adventures and are very jealous, it sounds like you are having fun. :)

we have also just been reading some of heather's poems, she got another four published in a state wide christian school magazine.

Ross has a new pet snake that we are playing with at the moment, it is a 40cm jungle python. it will grow to about 8ft apparently! i'm not to sure about taking it in the caravan but ross is keen to bring it on our holiday. we are planning to leave about mid feb.

we are all looking forward to christmas holidays. we have booked a cabin in merimbula for a week in january which should be nice.

Jesiah is growing up fast, he is not talking yet but he is still ruling the house, one of his cute smiles and he gets whatever he wants!

Take care

love the cousins

  the shaws Dec 5, 2007 10:08 PM

5

Gday Jillian & Tim

How are you both?

A hot, humid Saturday night & the frog calling from the frog pond (bath out the front) is deafening. Pat heard him over the phone the other night. So pleased with that pond -- it's really added something. It's been a week of stormy, humid weather. Most unusual for here the last few years. Lots of rain and heavy storms in Sydney & up north, much less here but still good.

We saw Jodie & Ben last night, & she couldn't believe that Tim was sick. We told her about your blog. It was at a school production which was great. They have a very keen, inspirational teacher who lets the kids really show their talent. Huge cast -- makes you wonder who went to classes this year.

Still hanging around waiting for our buyers to sell their place -- they reckon January is the time down the coast, so I guess we have to wait. Getting a bit more organised ourselves, so all heading in the right direction.

What are you both doing? plenty to see? Any new discoveries with the local food? What are the specialities in Guatemala? Do you have the excitement of Macca's central American style, or have they kept them out? Is the cost of food nice & cheap? Are you eating out all the time, or do you do your own a bit?

Been thinking about you both, & hoping you're OK.

lots of love

Dad

  Adrienne & John Dec 8, 2007 9:57 PM

6

JILLIAAAANNN!!!!!!!! It's so good to hear from you! You're email must have got lost among all my 'facebook' junk and various other nonsense emails--- I'm so sorry!! I'm so glad you're both safe and having such a good time. I hope neither of you have become sick again. I guess it's all part of the experience though. You're photos are so beautiful. I'm so jealous but so thrilled for you. You used the right word for the lake- majestic. I can just imagine you wandering around with that silly little smile on your face and giggling every time you get 'manhandled'. Gee the meals look appetising!!
WELL DONE on your marks!! Three HD's? I've never known anyone to pull that off in one semester. It definitely pays to actually attend the lectures, huh? You must be very proud.
Hurry up and get some photos of Lily and her lovely mummy and daddy on here. Are they all coping okay? I imagine they are- Amanda could take on the world.
We have some very exciting news- which is maybe why I was a bit off my game before you left (although I did call you for your birthday- had you already left?). WE BOUGHT A HOUSE!!! We're very happy with ourselves. Everything's still the same- we're just a bit poorer than before. I'm trying to get a decent fulltime job but for some reason people like to hire those who know things. Still doing Community Services Course but a bit behind.
The boys are both good. Cody is almost finished 1st year! He'll be 7 soon. Gone a bit off Karate. We might have to find him something else. Getting better at the guitar, even writing a few songs. Still gorgeous and very cheeky. He's still doing really well with his school work- one of his hobbies is spelling words out loud as quickly as he can. Ashton is good too. He can say 15- 20 words that are distinguishable, the rest is body language and pointing. He is the cheekiest little person I've ever known. You would be in hysterics if you spent a day with him now. He's 21 months old but his character is already very well-formed and it looks as though we're in for a lifetime of entertainment. Still plan on having another when we have more money.
Please take care of yourselves!!! Try and get some more photos up here- especially the scenic ones and some of interesting characters you meet along the way.
I love you both and can't wait to see you again. Give Amanda and Lily a kiss for me.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Lisa and family.

  Lisa Dec 18, 2007 9:24 PM

7

Hi guys! It's 11.30 so I'm off to bed. Just finished reading your notes and going through your photos. It's all so beautiful! The parties sound great. I saved the photo of you reading a book with our feet up by a creek. Very Jillian.
We're all good. We had a really nice Christmas in our own home which felt very grown up! The boys had a great time and loved their presents (they didn't get much) and Jase cooked HEAPS of food. I'm still a vegetarian but he made sure there was enough for me to feast on. I stayed home for New Years Eve- Jase went to a party. I had some suprise visitors.. Pete Donaldson and Kim Love and her husband. They're all good.
We just went to Sydney for four days and stayed with Meg and Nat. We had tickets for a jet boat ride round the harbour so Jase and I got to be alone for 2 hours to do that! It was definitely worth the effort.
Cody is becoming more and more of a bookworm each day and Ashton is an adventurous little brat but they are both as gorgeous as ever.
WHEN WILL YOU BE BACK?
Anyway, keep having fun and staying safe and know that we love you. XXXXX

  Lisa Jan 14, 2008 11:37 PM

About jillians


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.