Existing Member?

The Solo Speed Explorer

Firenze in a day

ITALY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [105] | Scholarship Entry

It's 3 a.m. and I'm alone on a train somewhere in the Italian countryside. I'm 30 minutes out of Venice and have three hours until Florence.

I have under 24 hours to explore before I need to get back to Venice. My only setback? I'm short on cash, so no big galleries for me and exploring is walking-only.

The train pulls into Firenze SM Novella station just as the sun starts to creep above the Tuscan hills. In the morning chill, I regret not bringing a sweater but take consolation in the fact that it'll hit 22C by 10 a.m.

Florence pulses with an energy that only comes from having roots that extend deep into the past. The most populated city in Tuscany and a World Heritage Site, Florence is also considered the birthplace of the Renaissance. At its peak, it was one of the world's richest cities and a major hub for culture and trade. You can still see its old glory as you wander the narrow cobble-stoned streets - like when you turn a corner and are suddenly met with the Florence Cathedral. On top of multi-coloured tiles on the white facade and soaring brown dome, there are statues and paintings everywhere; you could spend hours staring and would discover a new sight every second.

The Ponte Vecchio, which stretches over the Arno River, is another landmark that's hard to miss. The bridge is crammed full of stores selling everything from sex toys to pasta but, unfortunately, is also crammed full of tourists.

Florence also has quieter treasures. Down the street from the Cathedral is the simple church where Dante Alighieri first laid eyes on Beatrice. A few metres ahead is the Great Poet's house. Loggia dei Lanzi, just outside the famous Uffizi Gallery, is littered with gorgeous white marble and bronze statues. Small cafes abound, serving some of the best gelato and pasta you'll ever taste.

My favourite site is the one I tackle in the late afternoon. Piazzale Michelangelo is on top of a steep hill on the other side of the Arno. The reward is a breathtaking panoramic view of Florence and its surroundings, the gently rolling hills of Tuscany in the distance. I stay there for hours trying to take it all in, and only leave when the sky begins to turn soft shades of pink.

I camp out at the train station after nightfall and pass out after I get on my 4 a.m. train.

My feet and legs are sore. I haven't slept properly in two days. But having the privilege to roam one of the most stunning cities on Earth makes the pain and sleep deprivation seem like nothing.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jhong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.