Existing Member?

Destination: Home (via the other side of the world) Circumnavigating the globe (very quickly)

Sihanoukville, Southern Cambodia

THAILAND | Monday, 2 June 2008 | Views [1895] | Comments [1]

1st-2nd June 2008

Sihanoukville, in southern Cambodia, is a beach-resort town. Stephen and I decided to stay in a guesthouse away from the crowds. But on the first day we ventured into town and then to the backpackers' area.

The beaches alongside the backpackers' area were absolutely vile. I am continuously amazed by how little people respect the environment. Picture this: restaurants and bars which are jostling for position along the beach - the owners of these restaurants/bars obviously did not care about the environmental impact of pouring a concrete foundation on a beach. THEN, the waste and sewage from these restaurants/bars are pumped directly into the sea. More amazing is the fact that people don't seem to care about the fact that they are swimming opposite a sewage pipe.

Our second day in Sihanoukville was spent at the beach near our guesthouse, which was LOVELY. No sewage, no restaurants/bars, and not many people. It was a pleasure to spend the day on this beach just reading my book.

Sihanoukville, Victory beach - So much nicer than the other beaches which are plagued by restaurants/bars, backpackers, child hawkers, and waste. Why go there when you could come to Victory beach?

Sihanoukville, Victory beach - So much nicer than the other beaches which are plagued by restaurants/bars, backpackers, child hawkers, and waste. Why go there when you could come to Victory beach?

Tags: sihanoukville

 

Comments

1

I have been to sihanoukville twice now and i can say the first time i didn't like it much but the second time i really enjoyed it and i am hoping to go back in feb 2009 for about a week.I love the friendly cambodian people and the town of sihanoukville,it is like the gold coast was about 50 years ago.I have been there in the wet season and the dry season and i think the dry season is the best time of the season to go.cheers bob

  robert dalton Dec 31, 2008 11:57 AM

About jfernandes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.