Existing Member?

2014 Adventure

Me and my adventure...

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 12 November 2013 | Views [462] | Comments [1]

Well I never would have thought I’d write a blog….I don’t think I ever actually finished reading one high school novel and writing was always the bane of my existence…I guess it’s something you appreciate with age. The purpose of this blog is to give those who care a chance to keep up with what I’m doing on my overseas adventure next year…mainly Mum so she doesn’t freak out on me.

My name is Jess and I’m a single, 26 year old secondary Maths and PE teacher from Warrnambool. If you asked my friends and family to describe me I think you’d get descriptions such as relaxed, fun, carefree…quite possibly careless! So I might not be the type one would expect or advise to make the trek overseas… on my own. But that’s the big plan.

 I’m that girl who accidently leaves her ID behind so the whole group ends up not going out because they don’t want to leave a man (or woman) behind. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve had to call the bank or the phone company to report lost credit cards, debit cards, phones, wallets…anything. I’ve once left the room talking on my phone and come back 3 minutes later without it…where did it go? Still a mystery…

 The local nightclub in Warrnambool “The Gal” could have a Jess White lost property wing, I’ve lost shoes, jackets, jewelry, cards, phones…you name it, if it is not physically connected to me…I’ve lost it. One of my favourites is losing my passport at the Singapore Airport. Yes Jess, great place to leave an important document you can’t leave the country without…one of the biggest, busiest airports in the world. I even surprise myself sometimes.

 So… Brilliant idea! One of the most careless people on the planet is off on the adventure of a lifetime, and in 81 days I’ll be flying away. I’m hoping this blog keeps my friends and family up to date on my going’s on over the other side of the world…I just hope I don’t lose my laptop, so I’m able to keep it up to date ;)

 Plans so far:

 I fly out on the 2nd February 2014, one week after being a bridesmaid with all my best friends at my other bestie Eleanor’s wedding. I fly to Cambodia where I have a couple of weeks of volunteering lined up through Globalteer, on a sports project in Siem Reap, after which a week or so to explore Cambodia. I then fly to Kuala Lumpur with a 5 day stopover before flying into London on the 1st March.

 My plans from there include a St Patrick’s Day/birthday celebration in Ireland- something I’m a little apprehensive, yet extremely excited about. I tend to get carried away on my birthday… in fact I tend to get carried away a bit, but my birthday is always a big one. So although I’m confident I’ll find friends, the thought of being a loner on this day, where even at my local Irish bar in Warrnambool things have been known to get out of control, does freak me out a little. I’m working on friends from back home being involved in this plan…we’ll see how that goes.

 From there my next plan is a Topdeck tour ‘The Grand European’ which leaves from London on the 1st April. The tour is 28 days and takes in sights of France, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany and the Netherlands. After this I assume my funds will be running low and will look at settling somewhere in the UK for a couple of months, hopefully finding some work before exploring some more.

 So far I feel I’ve probably freaked Mum out more, rather than made her feel better, but it’s ok Mandy- careless girl will be careful, I promise.

 I’ve never looked forward to anything like I’m looking forward to this adventure and I can’t wait to write about it.

 Jess x  

Tags: adventure, carefree, careless, countdown, looking forward, my life, planning, travel

 

Comments

1

Yay I'm so excited that you're doing a blog so I can follow your adventure!!

  Amy Nov 13, 2013 7:49 AM

About jesswhite


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.