Existing Member?

My Transition

From Kiama to Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 17 December 2007 | Views [292]

So I recently moved to Sydney for a new job, after spending my entire life so far in the beautiful Kiama. I have only been here for a month, and whilst things are getting easier, it has been an incredibly tough transition. I did not know anyone when I first arrived, and luckily, my workmates have been fantastic.

It has been hard to get used to the traffic, the noise, and how fast paced the city is. I think I may be more suited to a quieter lifestyle, but I refuse to give up just yet.

As scared as I currently feel, I am very excited about my move. Sydney is such a non-stop city. There is always something happening, it's really quite amazing, and not at all like what I am used to.

What I am hoping with eventually happen is that I will find some people that I really click with, who share and understand my thoughts and ideas.

The thing I love about moving is that you get a fresh new idea about your life and your place in the world. You are able to see yourself in new situations, situations that may be unknown. It is amazing how we manage to adapt. Moving to somewhere new has been the most amazing, frightening and challenging thing I have ever done, and although my sense of belonging is not as strong as it once was, I feel positive that this move will have a long-term effect on my overall look on the world.

Change can be hard, but it can also be the most unbelievable thing you will ever experience.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

About jesspurnell


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.