Existing Member?

All around the world ..

melbourne the end of australia

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 4 September 2007 | Views [549]

Our final day in Melbourne was spent doing another couple of Melbourne sights. We had a walk to the Victoria markets, it was not quite what i had expected but a good place to stock up on cheap clothes and trainers (Sam bought a bargin pair for $15) and Australiana tacky souvenirs. I was tempted by a kangaroo skin rug or maybe a big yellow and green australia hoody but i managed to resist!!

What we could not resist in Melbourne though was the official neighbours tour. How could we come the city that is the home of that famous show and not go and have a look at the street! After a bit of a drive out in the very busy (mostly with English tourists) neighbours bus we reached Erinsborough. Am I the only person who never realised that the name for the area came from an anagram of the word neighbours with another r and o added, i can't be! Anyway we drove to the street being shown some of the locations where some out of street events were filmed such as the funeral home where stingray was laid to rest (although i never saw that so i did not know what she was on about). At the street we took the photos with the sign and all of those sad things that you have to do when you are a neighbours fan. We did only get 5 minutes on the street because they were filming 'stock shots' which meant there were no actors there. We did get to meet one of the cast at the studio but i was a bit dissapointed! I was hoping for a harold or a paul what we did get was a fraser. Ok could have been someone totally unimportant like ringo! after a bit of a chat and some photos with him and of the garage and grease monkeys it was back on the bus and back to town. We got to see some classic episodes like harolds wedding and some deaths and disasters and we found out some possible happenings. I will let all you fans in on what we are told, Susan gets MS, falls asleep at the wheel of her car and knocks down new girl bridget who then ends up in a wheel chair. Libby comes back again to help look after Susan because Karl can't cope as he is working. I can't remember anything else right now but if i do i will add it in.

We decided to have a look at the Casino on our around and about walk back to the hostel. After winning nothing but only losing $10 between us in this huge casino i think we are ready for Vegas!

Last meal in Oz was tapas yum yum from the little lane next to the hostel and then to celebrate a good time and to toast our travel to New Zealand we had to go and redeem our neighbour drinks voucher at an Irish pub where we ended up staying most of the night drinking and watching Kareoke, not quite how i remember Oz but a good night all the same. A good send off in the amazing city of Melbourne. 

Tags: Sightseeing

About jessikat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.