Existing Member?

All around the world ..

from white sands to tall towers (2)

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 19 April 2007 | Views [910]

So after a quick flight we were back at the KL airport, which as i think i mentionned before is not particularly near KL. The plan had been to get a bus straight from the airport to Melaka but unfortunatley this was scuppered by missing the last bus by about half an hour. So our options were to get a different bus to another place and then another bus to melaka but it was getting pretty late and the directions were not too good. We could also go back to KL, stay the night and then get a bus the next day. The final option was a taxi, this was also the most expensive (just) and seemed like an unneeded splurge for us. This was however the way we chose in the end. After much haggling with some man at the airport bus station (who knows if he was anything to do with taxi's!) a price was agreed and a taxi appeared. As i mention above i am not convinced that the service was being provided by an actual taxi service. The 'taxi' was bright green, with blacked out windows, a massive growling exhaust, lowered suspension- a proper boy racer car. The guy driving was very nice and so was his friend who he went to pick up to come along with us for the ride. It took a little longer than we thought and even when we had 'entered melaka' according to the road signs it was another 30 minutes along a road which had the most petrol stations i have ever seen in one area and lots of trees sparkelling with white fairy lights until we got to the centre. Whoever they were we got there alright and they were nice enough to drive us around the city for ages asking directions to make sure we got to the right place.

The next day we moved to a cheaper guesthouse (there were no cheap rooms left in the one we checked in to first) which was good except for the mystery water which leaked under our door one night and soaked everything. It was then about time we started to explore Melaka. One of the best things we found in melaka apart from all the historical stuff was the food. Roti Canai, masala dosa, thali's and all of our favourite things. It was a bit like being back in India in that department and it was cheap too. After all the crap food on the perhentians it was heavenly.

We found that in the city you could walk around just about everywhere in Melaka at least all of the 'sites' although i was tempted by the brightly decorated multi-coloured cyclos, especially at night with all the neon lights and music (CD players). We went to the Stadthuys museum, a history museum covering the history of melaka in the oldest dutch building in the East. I can't say we were very impressed, i am definately glad that we did not have to pay full price (we went in the afternoon where you pay less as you do not get the full day to use the ticket). It just seemed a bit dull and in places run down, it was also hard to read the descriptions as they all seemed to be placed at knee height, who knows why?!. We spent some time walking around by the river/canal and the old houses nearby and then into china town. The market in China town was great we did some shopping, had a few beers while listening to some terrible karaoke (some people just kept getting back up and i swear they just got worse!) and then some live music in the form of a man and a guitar which was not too bad once he got the mic to stop screeching. All this was accompanied by a huge thunder and lightning storm which was impressive to watch, the rain which we and everyone else seemed to be expecting did not come till a lot later on much to ours and the stallholders relief. 

We also made the most of the airconditioning in some of the big shopping malls on a couple of occasions and ended up going bowling as well as shopping to try and replace some of our disintegrating clothes (indian washing processes are not always the kindest).

We saw some amazing sunsets while in melaka unfortunatly the one we witnessed after climbing to St.Pauls church (now just a shell) at the top of the cleverly named! St. Pauls hill was not the most spectacular, although it was still worth the climb.

Our exit from melaka was not as exciting as our entrance. After wandering the street we were told to get the bus from looking for a bus stop (it was really hot) we discovered that there were not any and you just stick your arm out, we got to the bus station. At the bus station we met an Irish guy who we had met looking for beer in the street near our hostel and then gone for a meal with we bought our tickets and within 10 minutes we were on the bus and leaving. Back to KL. The bus started off pretty empty and I still had two seats to myself at the end of the 2 hours it took to get back. After a short walk we were back at the good ole' travellers home where we were once again welcomed by john and the boys. We have left them a very nice review which i think they were pleased with.

In Kl we met up with Vinod as planned and he gave us a chauffer driven tour of the city. He also took us for lunch, a proper Indian thali, which was really good, we were the only tourists there and i don't think that i will be able to find it again. We went all over the place, to the national mosque, the big war memorial sculpture near the government house, we drove through merdaka square, went to modern out of town shopping centres, drank some chinese coffee accompanied with bread and i think condensed milk (which i love as it seems do the malaysians) yum yum. Vinod was also a knowledgable tour guide and gave us a running commentary about where we were passing and a bit of a history lesson. It definaley helps to have a locals eye view of a foreign place. After our sight seeing we went for a drink, to watch the football (can't remember which game arsenal vs ?) and to try some of the local version of greasy after club food i think he said it is called mamak (?) and is maggi noodles with lots of stuff mixed in, very greasy and very good.

We also met up with one of Sam's old flat mates from Uni who is living in KL. Vinod drove us to the bar to meet him but then unfortunately had to go. So we had some more beers and a catch up and then we met up with some of darrens friends and went to another bar. Where they were buying bottles of whiskey accompanied by carafes of mixer (it was a nice bar). At about 2am after some good catching up and more than a few drinks we got a taxi back home. After a much needed lie in we looked around the city again, ate some more dosa and this is what we did until we left to singapore on the very comfortable train.

Tags: Culture

About jessikat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.