Existing Member?

World Tour Jesse and Justine decided on this trip to see the world before it's too late and life takes a hold of them.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

MALAYSIA | Monday, 27 April 2009 | Views [424]

Chillen out at the local waterpark.

Chillen out at the local waterpark.

This leg of the trip started as just a stopover on the way to Indonesia because all flights with Air Asia fly through KL, so we thought we'd better check the place out. Our travel buddies (Jimmy and Kat) for the first few weeks were already there and all we had to do was find the hotel they were staying in. Easier said than done. Jimmy had said get the bus to central and a cab from there to star town inn. Only problem was no fucker knew where the hell star town inn was. On the bus there I bumped into a few of the old crew from Perth, after they'd travelled to see a few of the sights in Burma. Pretty tripped out to see them on the first day of travels. We were to meet later but the long trip had the better of us. Eventually we found the joint and Jimmy and Kat laid up with massive stomach issues which they picked up in Thailand. Justine and I checked in and bailed to one of the local food joints and picked up some curries. We thjen checked out the local area and what a dive it was. We checked out some of the other accommodation, not totally satisfied with the Star Town Inn and eventually found the guesthouses, which are a far cheaper option and better for travellers. Bollywood would be our accommodation for the next night. The next day we headed for a feed at a little breakfast cafe in town, offering a mix of western and asian breakfast. The Nasi Lemak (rice, egg and anchovy combo) was my choice, wanting to stay with the trend of Asian cuisine, whilst the rest opted for western options. After this it was time to move into Bollywood and then hit the road in search of a water park and some needed respite from the city and heat. After getting an overpriced taxi to one of the local water parks (can’t remember the name but it’s supposed to be a fancy one) we found that the actual water park section of the theme park was closed for that day. Every Tuesday apparently despite assurances in town that it’d be open. So after that disappointment we went to some little crappy “water park” which was nothing more than a few kiddies pools (which we later found were so designed because the locals can’t swim) and a few waterslides. Not bad slides but of course these were fucking closed too. Anyways, it was good to get wet and away from the noise of the city. We then ventured out into the “deluxe” side of KL, which was a definite step up from the sprawls where our accommodation was. We ate at a flash Spanish place, with an equally flash tapas menu. Jimmy and Kat were still really struggling with their bugs so they bailed early and we both kicked on. I again bumped into another old mate, Paul, who spotted us as he was walking past. We’d managed to bump into five mates that we hadn’t arranged to see in the first 24 hours, such a small world. Great to see Pauly and best of luck to you and Ange with the bubs. We ventured in to see the upmarket shopping and it was flash. We could see how Christie bonded with the place so well with so much awesome shopping at your fingertips. However, whilst the flash end of town was sweet, having seen the outskirts of KL we all decided that it’s a dive and that we would unlikely return there.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.