Existing Member?

First Time in Asia.. Two Sisters Do It Differently.

GoingPro

NETHERLANDS | Wednesday, 13 November 2013 | Views [276]

Before I left for Europe I succumbed to the trend of buying a GoPro camera. I had envisioned creating epic pictures and movies from all around the world and I would be admired by friends and family for my creative talent and oh-so adventurous lifestyle. Well, lets just say that hasn't happened. In all honesty, I can probably count the amount of times I have used my GoPro in the last six months on both my hands - which I need to change pronto.

If you haven't been hiding under a rock for the past year or two you would know about these nifty, little cameras. Marketed as 'The Worlds Most Versatile Camera', it is indeed, an incredible little device. Smaller than the palm of your hand, you can literally use it anywhere. Underwater, in sub-zero temperatures, whilst riding a bike/camel/surfing/snowboarding/ - the list goes on. Once you have shot yourself looking über cool doing these activities you can edit all your footage and create movies to make your friends super jealous. All in all, a pretty good investment.

Of course, like everything worth having, it comes at a pretty high cost. Around 350 bucks will get you one of the cameras - theres several different editions and then if you want to get really creative you need to purchase all the extra equipment like the various mounts, LCD screens, casing etc. So if you're just chasing a cheapo camera to capture your next holiday with I wouldn't recommend one of these bad boys. However, if you want to create a story out of the next adventure then this is the camera for you.

So, back to my original point, my New Years resolution (took me til February to think of one!) is to give my GoPro a proper run for its money. I usually like to think of myself as a rather technology-savvy kinda gal but this little thing has got me good and I'm not happy. I will not let this resolution crumble like the ones those middle aged ladies make, promising to lose 10 kilos but giving up after a week because lets face it, chocolate is more important - I'm gonna master this GoPro business even if it kills me!

Step one of my resolution was to get all the equipment needed to be a proper GoPro-er. I had most of the basic stuff but just as a little 'Congrats you made a resolution' pressie to myself I bought a 'selfie stick' (saw this nickname somewhere, claiming it) which is pretty much as it sounds. You attach the camera to the aluminium rod which can be extended out at various lengths so you can film or capture yourself doing various things in various locations. Quite like the way new gym clothes gets middle aged ladies excited for their resolutions, I was keen to get my new 'selfie stick' a try. I took my youngest kid let down to the park and we filmed each other playing on the cable swing and other playground equipment. It was both fun and hilarious and you feel bit like a dork holding out his stick while you swing along but the footage I got is classic. I'm also planning to use it on my holiday next week - between Tromso, London and Paris I'm sure I can find a gazillion things to take pictures of.

My next mission is to learn how to edit and make movies properly. The software is quite simple but I just haven't got the attention span to sit down and learn how to use it.

From that weird girl who is riding her bike around holding a camera attached to a stick.

J. x

Tags: #europe, #europe, #gopro, #photography, #travel, #video

About jessb89


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.