Existing Member?

ThereAndBackAgain "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Samoa

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 10 August 2008 | Views [684]

I am in Samoa for a few days between voyage legs. It is a lovely island. One of my vogaye buddies and myself have hired a car and are touring the island.

The main island is 'Upolu, which is a good size taking about 6 hours or so to drive quicky round, so we have 4 days to do it slowly. We had hoped to get over to Savai'i, the other island in the Samoan group, but there is a Father's Day holiday this weekend and all ferries are booked solid.

The villages here are quite something, very traditional, The houses are built without walls, a la pavillion style. This makes for very open living which is truly suitable for this climate. The whole thing stands on a base of concrete or volcanic rubble. These are furnished with mats on the floor and in the gaps between the wooden roof supports to keep the rain out and too much sun. Depending on the wealth of the family the contents of these huses vary a lot, from just mats, to tv, fridges, beds, tables, chairs etc Each house has a separate kitchen area. The structures are often on family or clan type plots with several families living around a central shared open structure.

I thinks it is the most interesting island thus far from a cultural point of view. The scenery is stunning. This island is most like what one pictures a tropical south sea island to be - eroded residual volcanic peaks with costal strip. A beautiful island, with its culture still thriving. Everyone wears the lava lava, from school boys to old people, in business and for pleasure, although you also see western tee shirts and shorts in the kids and younger men, the women are more demurly dressed and the fabric colours are bright and vibrant, often having an African feel to them.  I'd recommend anyone to come here.

About jes2007


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.