Existing Member?

Long service is great

Koh Yao Noi

THAILAND | Thursday, 18 December 2008 | Views [364]

Our bungalow

Our bungalow

Koh Yao Noi is a great relief after the busslte of Puket. It is very much a rual setting with village life continuing with some travellers drifting about. The idea is that the residents did not want free for all development to occure here as they started to get some of the overflow from tourists in this part of Thailand. So a scheme was set up by the government whereby residents were given assistance to build bungalows suiltable for tourists.

We arrived on a longboat with a few local and a young German couple who had much the same idea as ourselves, to stay in homestay accomodation. As it was a Sunday we were not able to contact the organising body and previous attempts by both parties had found incorrect phone numbers. So the helpful driver took us to the family where we stayed. It was not what we originally expected. We thought that guests joined in with the family in their daily occupations, but that was not the case. It was hard with the language barrier to find out their daily commitments. LOng Bang showed us a bucket with some shell fish and sea slugs in it so we thought he may have been a fisherman. When asked if we could join him with fishing he booked us on a fishing trip to the local fish farm. We did not fish in the enclosures though!!

  

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.