Existing Member?

Tar Barrel Festival

Tar Barel Festival

SINGAPORE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [439]

The snow is falling as I stand on the side of the main street of Allendale village with other thousands of enthusiastic people from kids to elderlies, waiting for the festival to start. I spot one man dressed as Ali G in a stereotypical “gangsta” getup with blings and yellow hoodie jacket. Not far from him, a weird guy dressed in even more questionable fashion; a sombrero hat and an Eeyore costume. I am wondering whether it is some sort of British version of the Mardi Gras but it is not - it is the Tar Barrel festival that is held every year right on New Year's Eves.

Soon the festival starts when the Guiser marches down to the town hall in quaint costumes and hats carrying the flaming whiskey barrels filled with burning hot tar, weighing about 15kg on their heads. The flames from the barrels flickered up to the dark night skies giving an enormous sight that fascinated me. Guiser, the superstar of this festival are those of the honoured men whom have held their rights to carry the barrels for more than half century, a time-honored tradition that have been passed from generation to generation. I take quick snaps as they passed by, I can feel the flame sparked on my jacket and leave burnt holes.

Swiftly, the march ends. The Guiser circle around the 14 feet bonfire made of pile of fir branches, stop and shout along with everyone “Be damned to He Who Throws Last!” and toss their tar barrels at the foot of the pile. For seconds the fires blaze high in shower of sparks. At the last moment, the big clock at the town centre hits midnight, the crowd cheers, holds hands, and starts to sing ‘Auld Lang Syne’. I never remember the full verse of the song, never was. It is the thought that matter, really and everyone else does not seem to mind. The song fades away, the crowd greets each other caught in the spirit of New Year. “Happy New Year!”, a happy New Year indeed. Bit by bit, the fire stamped out. Farewell to the old year and welcome amazing New Year!

Tags: allendale, new years eve, tar barrel festival

 

About jenniferoctavia


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.