Existing Member?

Welcome Jenny Teacher! "The reward is the journey"

You Gotta have Faith

KENYA | Sunday, 4 July 2010 | Views [501]

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

The whole of Africa is on edge as Ghana is forced into overtime against Uruagay.  Inevitably, every developed or capable region of Africa not to mention the entire rest of the world has tuned in last tonight as Ghana is presented the chance of a lifetime to make history as the host nation of the Fifa World Cup advancing to the semi-final match.  Tonight was no ordinary night for football fans – for that matter - for Canadian volunteers living in Kenya . 

 

Distracted by the spirit of competitive sport, the excitement of victory on home turf, and the reality that I am right now IN Africa, I find myself completely engulfed by the intense game of Uruguay vs. Ghana.  After a busy week in Ukwala, we find ourselves in Kisumu with wonderful a fabulous American NGO host family Emerging Humanity. No doubt the Ghana team has put their heart and soul into all things football related.  Representing the last team in all of Africa, Ghana brought themselves to an intense series of penalty kicks that began with a super exciting quarter finals over-time at the Fifa World Cup (but for anyone who's reading this I'm sure you watched the game yourself).  While many people will regard last night's loss as a failure for Africa, there are many more who will take this with a grain of salt and focus on the more pressing issues of our time. 

 

Promoting gender equality, eliminating xenophobia and providing more access to education are only some ways through which Africa can achieve a better place in today’s world.  This is obvious as I travel from Nairobi to Mombasa and then back to Nairobi and off to Ukwala and now Kisumu.  What appears less visible to the people of Africa is the exponentially vast potential of community development and local change, and hence, whereby The Ogola Brothers come into play. Dan Ogola whom we stay with in Nairobi is the founder of the Matibabu Foundation in Ukwala and is currently working on an orphanage to exist in Ukwala.  Steve is Dan's younger brother and he is a key component of SEED Kenya.  Just today Steve's expertise and knowledge helped us when purchasing backpacks, school shoes, pens, books and other resources for the sponsored students at Lifunga Primary and Secondary School!  

  Leading up to the G20 Summit in Toronto, the Globe and Mail ‘s special focus on Africa got me thinking about sustainable development in Africa.  In observing local energy expenditure, I have quickly come to realize that the carbon footprint here in Africa could never really replicate that of North Americas. While my home continues to live blindly out-of-touch and suffocated by a culture of abundance and excessiveness, the majority of the population of Africa lives intrinsically connected to the earth (however the amount of littering that goes on here is out of control!!). 

 

By and large, for a multitude of reasons North American society is considered ‘progressive’; albeit, African society is demonstrating an invigorating wave of progressivism and revitalization (if you don't believe me check out Africa's Vision 2030).  Young, innovative thinkers value their home land and its environment as they set out to make changes in their community working to decrease the marginalized or disadvantaged among them.  In Africa, I cannot deny the existence of the mentality that no (wo)man gets left behind.  From my experiences traveling about Kenya, I have observed so much personal connection between communities and individuals.  Africans everywhere walk together,  sing together, share real meals together.  I will reason that because technology has not advanced here the way it has at home I feel a deeper valuing of time spent sharing.  

 

But with acquiring a deep sense of cultural understanding for Africa  much patience, carefully managed behavior, a desire to learn and an overall positive mentality are all very much required.   My abundance of personal possessions, my stability and confidence, and my independence sets me apart from the average African citizen.  What I have gained and experienced in Kenya over the last two weeks time has allowed me to see myself as both priviledged and fortunate to be provided with the basic necessities of life and much, much more.  

 

So is it faith, luck, or coincidence that I am sitting here reflecting on the past two wonderful weeks I  have spent living, learning, travelling, experiencing and volunteering my time for a greater cause here in Africa on this afternoon of July 4th, 2010? 

With a booming population of young, informative youth, I must say that I feel right at home here.  The FIFA energy can be used as catalyst for local change.  And it only seems plausible that the mentality of abundance for success remains a westernized ideal never to taint the road of Africa’s fate.   

Last night, Ghana lost a golden opportunity to make history through the advancement of the first African team to a semi-final match of the FIFA World Cup. Nevertheless, Africa still advances to the Double Jeopardy round in the game of life.  

Go Africa!  Go SEED!!  Thank YOU kindly for reading and keep fighting for what you believe in!!

Jenny Saundercook

ps -  LOVE YOU ALL! xoxo



About jennifer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.