Existing Member?

Welcome Jenny Teacher! "The reward is the journey"

Three days at SEEDJunior Acadamy in the Kibera Slum

KENYA | Sunday, 20 June 2010 | Views [599] | Comments [1]

So much to write so little time.  The time that I have spent in the past three days at SJA have been jam-packed with improve teaching techniques, lots of song and dance, and an outing that I'm sure the kids will remember for the rest of their lives. 

We decided that after two days of working in SJA with rougly 20-25 kids each day, it was time to take a select few (those registered students) to the Nairobi National Park for a day of adventure and fun.  So we picked up some juice concentrate, some bread, peanut butter and jelly and we headed into the slum just after 9 am. 

Upon arriving at the school to a perfectly silent classroom full of bright and beautiful faces, we decided to assure that the kids were properly prepared for the field trip.  We practiced spelling the names of many different animals on the board and WOW they did a great job at this!  After about 20-30 minutes of prepping, we started to make our way out of Kibera with a few tag-alongs eager to join the outing.  Unfortunately only 16 students made the cut. 

We arrived at the Park via Matatu (public van) and were thrilled that everything was working out so smoothly.  The kids are so well behaved here in Nairobi! 

We saw monkeys, lions, 'bouff'alo, ostrich and more!  The kids were just thrilled to be in this safe and excitable environment!  

What an absolutely rewarding, amazing day at the Nairobi National Park with sixteen, beautiful Kenyan children!!  If only all the children here were able to have an experience like this once in their life!

  

Comments

1

Hi Jenny,
We are studiously following your exploits on the african continent. Fascinating for us to be able to share your experiences and insights. So happy for you that you were blessed to get this opportunity.
We very much look forward to your return and the undoubtedly many tales of your adventure.
Keep well,
Love,
us

  joe and thea vellinga Jun 30, 2010 10:00 PM

About jennifer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.