Existing Member?

Adventures

Earthquake and Altitude Sickness

ECUADOR | Saturday, 22 May 2010 | Views [916] | Comments [3]

Despite the title, this entry is not all bad.  Following up on my last entry, the bus from Santa Elena to Alajuela was so much better than I expected (and was told).  The 6:30am departure time was definitely rough, along with the fact that I found myself locked inside the hostel at 6:15am when I tried to leave.  Staff doesn´t come in to open until 7am, so I scrambled around checking every single door until I finally decided to jump behind the welcome desk, snatch a pair of spare keys and unlock the front door myself. I returned the keys, but couldn´t relock the door, so hopefully all is okay there.  I barely made the bus with mere minutes to spare.  In any case, the bus turned out to be a nice coach with reclining seats and somehow one of the front seats was still vacant, which meant that not only did I have a great view out the huge front window, but I also avoided any motion sickness!  We arrived in Alajuela around 10am, only 3 1/2 hours later because the bus was an express.  I took a $5 cab from the airport bus station to Alajuela Backpackers (recommended to me by friends) and couldn´t believe it was classified as a hostel.  The architecture was beautiful, had hot water AND air conditioning along with free internet, a TV room with a huge flat screen TV and fun hangout spaces including a bar with a pool table.  All of this for $15/night - AMAZING!  Since it was still morning, I decided to treat myself and watch TV for the first time in over a month.  There were plenty of English channels and I was able to watch my beloved Food Network!  I felt like an American again!  About 20 minutes later, a guy named Danny from Portland, OR joined me in the TV room and we clicked right away.  We explored Alajuela together for the rest of the day, eating at a food stand in the local market and heading to a coffee shop after much meandering.  It was at the coffee shop at about 4:30pm or so when the earth began to move beneath us.  It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my entire life.  Instantly I knew what was happening and I grabbed for Danny´s hand and held tightly as we sat there starring at each other unsure of what to do.  Local Ticos (Costa Rican people) sitting at tables around us made the sign of the cross, and mumbled prayers.  It was the first time in my life I actually thought, "this could be it" and I certainly wasn´t ready.  The glass counter that held the pastries was moving as were the buildings right outside the open windows.  I was squeezing Danny´s hand so tightly and was saying "HOLY SHIT" over and over again. I´m not sure how long the moving lasted, maybe a minute or 2, but the scariest thing was that we didn´t know if it would continue to get worse.  No damage was done and we found out later that the epicenter was 40 miles southeast of where we were, just off the coast.  It was rated as a 6.3, then was brought down to a 5.9.  I was definitely shaken the rest of the day and still feel quite uneasy about being on a fault line.  Maybe I won´t go to San Diego to live, after all.

In my dorm room that night was a mother-daughter pair who have been traveling most of their lives.  Such nice women with very interesting stories.  The mother is originally from Australia and is probably about 50 years old.  Her daughter is late 20´s and grew up in Central America.  They have traveled seemingly everywhere and were great to hang out with.  I left for Quito Friday morning and sat next to a beautiful and very nice woman in her late 30´s from El Salvador.  She and her family are relocating from Costa Rica to Ecuador as her husband was transferred.  He works for Philip Morris and has worked all over the world for the company.  Judging from her clothes and jewelry, they are very well off and her English was perfect without an accent.  I don´t think I´ve every met anyone who worked for a cigarrette company and instantly I thought of the movie "Thank You For Smoking".  It was interesting how without prying, she happily volunteered that information.  In any case, she was very sweet and wrote down a number of "must see" places for me and tips on what to eat.

Samara´s friend Markos was at the airport to pick me up - so nice to meet a friend of a friend after a month of traveling solo.  He brought me back to his house where I met and instantly adored his elderly mother, Martha.  She is so sweet and warm and treats me like family.  I have my own bedroom in her 3 bedroom house, Markos lives in the apartment above.  I feel so spoiled having my own bedroom with a full bed and cozy quilts.  Their house reminds me of Aunt Hazel and Uncle Sal´s house and it´s so wonderful spending a few days here.  Martha speaks only Spanish, but she articulates well and speaks slowly, so I understand almost everything she says.  She patiently waits while I slowly form sentences in Spanish and encourages me to practice with her.

Today I explored the city of Quito.  This morning I set off to TelefériQo, a multimillion-dollar sky tram that goes up 2.5km to the peak of one of the highest mountains in Ecuador (4100m).  The views were breathtaking (literally and figuratively).  There were signs all over saying how high it was and to walk slowly.  Walking up a few stairs made my heart feel like it was beating out of my chest, but it was entirely worth it for the view.  Will post more photos soon.  After descending, I wandered around Centro Histórico (Old Town), a beautiful part of Quito complete with a church on every corner. It´s been a great day and I look forward to heading to Baños tomorrow, where I´ll stay for the next 4 weeks.  Hope all is good at home and please email me updates if you have time!  Miss you all!

Comments

1

Glad that you are safe and off to a good start in Ecuador! I just sent you an email with lots of questions which were answered in this blog post, feel free not to respond :)

Cor

  CSW May 24, 2010 11:07 AM

2

I like how you decided to start being honest about your trip on the blog now that your partents are out of the country and don't have access to internet. Tricky Jennifer.

I miss you like crazy, but I'm so happy you are having a great time!

Love you!

  Caserine May 28, 2010 11:26 PM

3

Newest update: possibly evacuating Baños tonight because volcano is becoming quite active. Will keep you all posted... no me gusta!

  Jenny May 29, 2010 9:09 AM

About jenng1234


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.