Existing Member?

Adventures

Tough life...

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 11 May 2010 | Views [628] | Comments [7]

Hello again. I love the comments, it´s so great to hear from all of you! Where to start...well, today I had a very scary encounter with a monster. Seriously. I was packing my backpack because I decided to move on to the Funky Monkey hostel after spending a little over 2 weeks at Casa Zen. I reached into the depths of my pack and something ferocious bit my thumb and hung on tightly! Of course I screamed as if I had been stabbed by a knife and retracted my hand as quickly as humanly possible. As I whipped my hand out of my pack while screaming and jumping around, I managed to hurl whatever had clung onto my thumb onto my roommate´s sandal across the room. Unfortunately, neither of my two roommates were in the room, so I went running out to find someone to help save me from the monster. Luckily, James, my Aussie roommate was just around the corner and came over to check what all the commotion was about. (He wasn´t running, as he should have been, because I may have made similar scenes before and he was getting used to it, along with laughing at me most of the time). In any case, we went over to inspect what the creature was that landed on his sandal. It was about 2 inches long and a weird redish/purple color. At first glance, I thought it was a weird slug type of creature, but upon James´further inspection, it turned out be a claw detached from a CRAB! This means that this was a mere PIECE of the monster that still lurked inside my pack! At this point, I was sweating profusely while making sounds I´ve only ever heard come out of Jeff´s mouth when he sees a spider (most of you know what I mean...for the others, it´s ridiculously high pitch scream/yelling sounds while forming no actual words). At this point, I´ve attracted quite an audience Nate, the hippie Canadian came strolling out of his room next door, along with Daniella, my other roommate from Germany, and Siri Nate´s roommate from Norway. Now, crabs are all over the place here once sunset hits. They are a little bigger than a softball and look like the devil. (Corey and Hillary, please feel free to confirm my description). Thankfully James and Yenni (a girl who works at the hostel) came to my rescue emptying my pack and shaking the monster out. Lesson to be learned from this: stay at home. Never travel. If you must leave your bubble of security, I highly suggest closing all zippers of your pack!


Other than that, things are great! The Funky Monkey Lodge has a swimming pool (the main deciding factor of my move) and I was in it within 5 minutes of arriving there. My two roommates James and Daniella may be joining me at the new hostel tomorrow along with Ty (from Hawaii) another old roommate from Casa Zen. The new hostel is a bit further back from the beach (a 5 minute walk instead of 1 minute) which I´m hoping means that there will be fewer crabs making their way up to my room! The dorm I´m in now has 8 beds, is 2 floors and boasts a beautiful outdoor shower, google it for pictures. I´m still procrastinating on uploading pictures, but they will get up here eventually. Hope you are all doing well and know that I miss you!

 

Comments

1

Hey honey, I couldn't agree with you more. There is no need to travel and put yourself in such danger with ferocious crabs lurking about. Come home !!!!

  Mom May 12, 2010 9:28 AM

2

Your mom is on to something.

Just kidding! Thanks for the laugh!

Miss you terribly!

  Caserine May 13, 2010 3:44 AM

3

We hope you sketched that one-armed crab...not to worry, we hear they regenerate!
Oh no, does that mean there will be two? Just joking.

Buenos Dias and Buenos Noches

  Gayle and Joe R May 14, 2010 1:11 AM

4

Jennifer Beth,
I'm sorry to hear that you have not yet made peace with the crustaceans. I don't recall any softball sized crabs.....but if you say so ;)

  Corianne May 17, 2010 3:03 AM

5

That poor crab. Did you eat him?

  Chris OK May 17, 2010 2:51 PM

6

Wow! The scary part of my day was watching my "crabby" husband stabbing an english muffin with a steak knife, trying to get it out of the toaster oven! What tales you'll have to tell your children and grandchildren!! Enjoy, Sweetie, but remember to keep your wits about you!!! Love, Aunt Rose

  Aunt Rose May 19, 2010 8:27 AM

7

You look fabulous...life in the jungle agrees with you! :) Keep up with your blog so we all can partake in the adventure.

  Nancy and Leo Pieretti May 20, 2010 12:58 AM

About jenng1234


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.