Existing Member?

Jenna's Adventures

Matapalo's Magic

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [190] | Scholarship Entry

5am. I’m floating on a 6’0 surfboard in 86 degree water.Not another soul in sight but what my eyes can see are the outlines of monstrous mountains and dense jungle all tinted black by darkness.Suddenly the sky lightens and I swivel my board towards the horizon to watch the sunrise behind Panama.I know there are many breathtaking places but I am grateful to be in this specific spot: Matapalo, Costa Rica.

Matapalo has a magical energy.If you ask the locals and ex-pats they’ll agree.Beautiful, secluded, no electricity, barely no reception, no internet or TV. All you have is YOU. Life is in your face and you can’t hide from the questions that are too painful to ask.They might not be completely answered but you’ll make discoveries. The questions that are answered are replaced by inspiring and uplifting ones.The day Matapalo’s Magic found me was the day I was surfing Backwash about half past 5 in the morning...

After the sun rose I noticed another surfer paddling towards me. His name was Kris. I’ll never forget when I told him I sometimes wished I had a friend to share this with. And he said “Well, you don’t have to feel that way anymore ‘cause we’re friends”. We had only known each other for about 20 minutes and we became inseparable from then on for the next 69 days.
Our adventures were so serendipitous that I can only credit it to Matapalo’s Magic.It also gave me contemplative and introspective days. I remember my worst. I hid in a bush at Backwash, so confused about life, wanting to disappear from the world. Kris found me and refused to leave my side. Laughed at me when I blew my nose with leaves because I had nothing else. When I told him “I just don’t know what I’m doing with my life anymore”, he smiled and said “me neither”. I felt like a secret was just revealed. This is one of the answers Matapalo gave me. I am not alone. I can stop putting the weight of the world on my shoulders trying to be perfect to achieve… what? Who knows. My confusion of ‘What am I doing with my life?’ turned into “What am I going to experience next in my life?” and for that I am forever grateful. I also discovered a passion for helping others who feel stuck realize that they are not alone and encourage them to travel so they can have a life changing experience. My travel discovery is Matapalo. I encourage everyone who is ready for the challenge to paddle out into Backwash and let Matapalo’s Magic take over. You might leave with everything you didn’t know you were looking for.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About jennasadventures


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.