Existing Member?

Dreamland Hey all... this blog contains updates of my stay in beautiful South America :) Que disfruten!

Sweat, strikes, and singing

COLOMBIA | Wednesday, 16 March 2011 | Views [690]

Buenos dias (good morning)!!!!!!!!!!

Tis time for Colombia update number two!  I’ve now been in Monteria for over a month (sheesh)!  Time is flying.  Included in this update is a blurb of the most vacano (coolest), annoying, and interesting things about living in Monteria for the past month.  I’ll do what I can to keep this post at an acceptable length.  Also, before I begin - since I wrote my last email, my computer crashed.  Before my computer crashed, a handful of you wonderful people passed on the emails of people that would like to receive these Colombia updates.  However, my notes and list of who I didn't include last time was lost when my computer crashed!  So again, if you notice that someone that wants to receive these emails was not sent this email, please let me know and I will add them to the list (again)!  Sorry for being annoying and asking multiple times :S  Also, again, if you are receiving this email and don't want to be, let me know!!  I really won't be offended.

Chapter 1.  The Heat.

For those of you that know me well, I am not a big fan of hot weather.  When I lived in Wisconsin, I used to complain about the heat.  When I lived in Minnesota, I used to complain about the heat.   Then I came to Monteria.  Ay caramba.  I have never had such a strong desire to lay naked on the floor under a fan for an entire afternoon (I wouldn’t think twice about laying on the bed… too much heat retention).  I’m getting used to dripping with sweat (literally) - in class, on the bus, at home, at the mall, and walking down the sidewalk.  A lot of people here just kind of shine all the time.  Sibley is coming to accept the fact that her students feel that they need to let her know when she is sweating (as if she doesn’t already realize it).  Also, every day, I wish that my cold shower could be colder.  If only if only, the woodpecker sighed…

To give you a more specific idea of what the weather is normally like here – depending on who you ask, the temperature during the day at this time of year typically averages from 90-105 degrees from noon till about four (or, on a day like today, from nine am until five pm).  The humidity doesn’t help.  When I arrived, I was excited to see that the name of my building was “Brisas del Rio,” or “River Breezes.”  Unfortunately, until now, the building hasn’t’ lived up to its name.  I am currently sitting in my room drinking bottle after bottle of water and saying a prayer every 30 seconds begging for the power (and the fan) to come back on.  Of course the power would go out on the hottest and most breezeless day of the year.  There also never seem to be any clouds in the sky.  So, no natural protection from the sun’s death rays.  Shucks.  Regardless of my body’s troubles dealing with the heat, I am enjoying the warmth as best I can, and thinking of it as part of the Colombian experience.  Plus, it’s really not that bad - I’m just the world’s biggest whimp when it comes to the heat.   

Chapter 2.  CONALCO.

My experience with the school system until now has been interesting.  Wonderful!!  And interesting.  During the month of February, I taught at a school called Colegio Nacional Jose Maria de Cordoba.  Aka CONALCO.  At CONALCO, school starts at 6am and lasts until 1:30pm.  Early for me, nothing for the students.  Everyone here likes to wake up early (before the heat hits).  When I explained to my students that in the US, school starts between 7:30 and 9 and that it is normal for high school kids in the US to enjoy sleeping until noon, they first gave me a confused/disappointed look, assuming that I was mixing up my numbers in Spanish and I really meant to say “nine” or “ten” instead of “twelve.”  Once they realized that I do actually know my numbers in Spanish and that I really was saying that high schoolers sleep until noon, their confused/disappointed looks transformed into expressions of confusion/disgust/pity.  “But WHYYY teacher?!”  was their response.  Well, I tried to explain why... but found myself unable to come up with an answer that they were happy with.  I guess the sleeping habits of Americans will remain a mystery to my students.

Next on my list of CONALCO updates is the teacher strike.  Apparently, getting paid on pay day rarely happens at the colegios (high schools) here.  Rather, the process works something like this: pay day comes, and the teachers see no money in their bank accounts.  Another day or two pass, and the teachers still don’t get paid.  The teachers then go on strike and stop going to classes.  The really proactive teachers go to the Secretary of Education to voice their disapproval of not being paid on pay day… or being paid in general.  After about 2-4 days of being on strike, the teachers are paid and classes resume.  I’m still not sure how it works at other schools (I will probably find out soon enough), but when the teachers at CONALCO are on strike, they attend classes for the first three periods (until the first break) every day before going on strike.  If they still haven’t been paid at that point, they refrain from returning to class.  The day the strike begins, the teachers all go to their classes after break to let their students know that they can go home.  After the first day though, the students just kind of figure out on their own that their teachers are still on strike, and they slowly trickle off of school grounds once the first three periods are over.  While all this is going on, everyone (the parents and the public in general) chastises the teachers for going on strike.  The newspapers print articles talking about the “lazy teachers” that refuse to work.  The parents complain.  Too bad for the teachers - it's not their fault they aren't getting paid....

Okay, onto more stories of school.  Famous people deciding to drop in to school for a visit - hooray!  It was February 13th and I had just begun my second class of the day.  So far, everything had been going as planned.  I was going over the phrase of the day (probably “sweet” or “dang it” or “ready freddy?!”) and one of the teachers that works in the office poked his head into the classroom/library looking a bit distressed.  “Jenna, I need to talk to you now,” he said, and walked out of the room, assuming I would follow him.  Well, I did follow him, and soon found out that Farid Ortiz, a famous vallenato singer, was in Monteria, and was going to perform (in an hour) at CONALCO.  Woah!  This would be like Lady Gaga or Michael Jackson randomly deciding to drop in to perform at a high school in the United States.  Everyone at CONALCO knows who Farid Ortiz is, and is probably on the list of top 5 favorite singers for 90% of the students at the school.  I was thrilled!!  I walked back into the classroom, trying to constrain my excitement (and not succeeding very well) before telling my students what was about to happen.  Of course, they went a little nuts.  To finish the story, the concert was great.  Crazy – as to be expected, and great.  By the middle of the concert, water bags were flying everywhere and exploding when they hit the ground like water balloons (in Colombia, you buy little plastic bags of water rather than bottles -  normally.  There are also bottles, but bags of water are cheaper.  You bite the corner off of the bag and suck the water out of the little hole you bit in the bag.  Yum).  Students were dancing on the stage (in a way that would get students expelled in the US, not to mention).  Everyone was happy.  It was a fun day.  Here is a link to Farid Ortiz, in case you’re interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVTHoq0QFk&feature=related

Chapter 3.  Colombian fiestas.

You know you’re in Colombia when you are woken up by your host grandpa at 9:00 in the morning because he just got back from partying all night long and wants to see his amigas gringas.  Oh my.  Colombians, or at least a good amount of Colombians, take partying to a whole new level.  Sleep is forgotten and exchanged for dancing.  All night long.  How they do it is beyond me.  I have yet to experience an entire night of Colombian celebration, but I can only anticipate that the next day will be spent sitting and lazing.  I’ll save it for a weekend I don’t have anything to do.  I’ll also have to make sure to have a pot of coffee at the ready for when my body starts to shut down.

I’m going to finish up this email now… I don’t want to bore anyone with a 10 page description of how my last month has been.   Quickly though, a couple other notes :

  1. My Spanish is improving and now Sibley and George and I speak in Spanish all the time.  I find myself constantly thinking in Spanish and trying to figure out how to phrase things in my head.  I understand the people here much better now, although I still have a lot to learn. 
  2. I bought a guitar and am learning how to play – lots of people here play guitar and almost everyone is willing to teach me something here and there. 
  3. I have decided that it is too dangerous to buy and ride a bike in Monteria, so am going to wait until I come back to the states to bike (tear… although I can rent a bike in the park and ride it through the park safely)!
  4. I have pictures up online!  For those of you that haven't seen them yet, here are the public links:

 

Thank you for reading!  Miss you all!  

About jennaanne


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.