Existing Member?

Seven weeks in South America

The Cloud Forest Day Four

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 23 June 2011 | Views [370]

Day four in the wonderfully damp cloud forest saw us get up nice and early, even though we have been told there would be no bus back to town and we would have to walk.  We organised breakfast and were happily sitting at the table next to our tent (the benefit of sleeping in an official campsite and not somewhere in the middle of a riverbed!) when 3 wild horses came barrelling through the clearing, straight past our tent and down into the riverbed.  It was completely unexpected and quite wodnerful.  It was surprising enough in fact that I abandoned my cup of coffee and followed them down into the riverbed to check that I hadn{t imagined them!  We were just recovering from this when we were set upon by a group of local school children who all wanted to have their pictures taken with us, separately, and take videos of us.  This wouldn't have been so bad except that we were covered in mud, hadn't showered in days and no doubt smelt like god only knows what!  Still they can't have been that unhappy as they insisted on giving us kisses goodbye, which was somewhat interesting as they all formed a line and came by one by one in a seemingly endless procession- it felt a little like being a queen!  Very strange!

Once that was over we quickly packed up and made good our escape before anything else strange could happen.  We started walking towards town and were promptly offered a lift by a tractor towing a wagon, which went about 15km/hr and was full of unhappy looking sugar workers, but saved our legs several kilometres.  Then it was back to the exciting town of Libertador and promptly out again towards Purmamarca.

About jenc


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.