Existing Member?

A fly sat on my finger and cleaned it's face.

Small moments.

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

It's too easy to get caught up in the pump of today. A life based around cloudy achievements and money, are we ever really achieving what we want? We're achieving a perception of what we think we should want. For who? Nobody. No one cares if you're living in the box or out of the box or on the box or in a cardboard box. So live! Just live how you want to live.
In this travel story, I travelled as far as my backyard.
I looked at it, I stopped. I forgot about myself for a minute and observed life just happen. I looked at the overgrowing mint in my garden, a definite over achiever that plan, soon it would outrun basil I was sure of it.
Here I was isolated and apparently alone.
I watched a fly land on my finger and instead of flicking it away I let it sit there, I watched it touch it's face. What an odd thing to do! Flick it away! I could hear my absent counterparts say. No today. As I watched the fly I considered it's day instead of mine. Even with the smallest of wings, that fly would be seeing things today in a way I couldn't even imagine. Soon enough the fly flew off into it's own day, it's own life.
You don't have to go far to step out of yourself, to learn, to wonder. You just have to make the time to go. And let things intervene with your day, let people talk to you, don't be so quick to flick your fellow miracles away.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jemimacarroll


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.