Existing Member?

Moving around....

Broome to Darwin

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 1 June 2008 | Views [586]

North of Perth, about 2800km from it, Broome. We worked there both of us at the Lustre Bar & Restaurant, and I had another job at the Noodlefish, an excellent Restaurant. We spent a bit more than a month in Broome and to say it frankly we spent this time working a lot. We manage to see the famous sunset few times and the Camels on the beach which was quite nice. But as the time is running fast we had to leave for Darwin and the next adventures.

We met Lynne in Broome, an english girl, and we decided to rent a car all together to go to Darwin. Good fun on the road we had the very minimum of the camping gear which means a tent and a pan! We did fires every nights and mornings to cook our food and breakfast on the 24hrs rest areas!

Along the way we stopped at Geikie Gorge were we saw a lot of crocodiles (freshwater crocs not human eaters, but the salties are!) on a ranger guided river cruise. The gorge was 'gorgeous', amazing colours on the rocks. The next stop was at Mimbie Caves were we manage a deal with Ronnie, a local aboriginal guide. We spent a day visiting magnificent caves with crystal clear water, old aboriginal wall paintings, he played guitar and sang for us and we ate some bush-tucker kangaroo and food.

After a stop in Katherine where we bathed in the natural hot spring, we headed to Litchield National Park and its beautiful Falls. Florence Falls was a nice spot to swim and take great pictures but the best place was Bluey Rockholes Pools, very fun time jumping around in the various natural pools.

After 7 days on the road, sleeping under the stars with the dingo's barking as a music background, here we come to Darwin.

We spent only few days there, it is a very pleasant town, the Mindil Beach market is great with a lot of artisanal stands selling original stuff, beautiful sunset too. The drinking time was good!!! We caught up with some friends from Broome and Perth. You always meet people that you've seen before in Australia, it's not so big!!

Time to find a way to the red centre and Cairns!

Tags: watch out for crocs!!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.