Existing Member?

Deutschland, Damnit!

....Yes, but is there Schnitzel?

GERMANY | Saturday, 23 May 2015 | Views [161] | Scholarship Entry

Walk anywhere in Berlin for ten minutes and you will no doubt experience German amazement!

The Up-Close and Personal Historical Landmarks of Berlin's tumultuous history.
72 Hour Raves.
The ever freaky yet fantastic people of the Kreuzberg borough,
as well as an artistic community with enough surrealism to make Salvador Dali Blush!
Berlin emits enough exciting energy to power the rest of the world for a century!

In my humble gluttonous opinion however, Berlin's best kept secret lays in a little Schnitzel Bistro under the Warschauer str. Ubahn bridge near the (in)famous East Side Gallery.
Tucked away within the uber artistic borough of Friedrichshain, this little place calling itself 'Sheers' seductively called my grumbling stomach.
The waft of fried meat crisping in oil sent my nose into a psychedelic Neo-Germanic trance only seen in kitschy cartoon commercials.
I am aware of the fact that everything tastes better when you're drunk, but the schnitzel served here was the pride of Bavarian Meat Angels.
Call my decor tastes stodgy, whatever you will. The Crayon drawings lining the walls emulated the laid back, punk-yet-cultural vibe I had grown to love about Berlin.
Busy yet laid back, the young men frying up the schnitzel behind a highly visible, simple kitchen added to the comforting, edgy-yet-friendly atmosphere this little fried meat sanctuary generated.
(Again, it might have been the beer.)
The best part of Sheers for a wandering (re: broke) young traveler like myself?
The Price!
For €6.00, I was served a giant slice of schnitzel with enough fries to keep my stomach and wallet full for the next few days.
(If you want the full schnitzel experience, I suggest taking a long walk along the East Side Gallery and arriving to Sheers on an empty stomach!)

Stunning pieces of counter-cultural artwork will lure me to any destination, but the food will always keep me there!
No matter your age or what you are looking for, Berlin will offer it, extra large sized!

Gone are the days of terror and political tension!
Berlin has grown into a wonderfully bizarre yet highly functioning city any traveler will enjoy!
Want the European cultural experience but find your bank account pathetically small?
Berlin's got your back!

Some great places to check out:
Sheers Schnitzel - Warschauer Str. 10245
East Side Gallery - Mühlenstraße, 10243

Also: Don't fret about the language barrier! Almost every young person in Berlin speaks some degree of English!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About jean-green


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.