Existing Member?

To Brazil and beyond Our trip back to NZ from London via the Americas- here's to getting lost in the sunshine before returning to the real world!

We arrive in Brazil....

BRAZIL | Sunday, 10 February 2013 | Views [332]

Before I can talk about our arrival in Brazil, I actually need to go back a few days in the lead up to John and my departure from London. A word of advice from someone who has done it- do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to pack up your life of 6 years, prepare to go on a 7 month trip and start organising a wedding in three days flat. Although it is possible, it is painful, leading to severe sleep deprivation and more than the odd arguement. Of course as well as attempting to achieve the impossible we were also struck down with extraordinarily bad luck in the lead up to our flight, which follopwed us right to the airport. These istances of bad luck ranged from not being able to get the necessary paper work for the our car export due as it was a public holiday in New Zealand, to finding out at the airport that regulation had changed in the weeks since we had booked our one way ticket to Brazil meaning we had to shell out £1,600 for return tickets back to the UK to gain entry country. I was assured this is refundable when I call to cancel these completely unnecessary flights, but I foresee a long drawn out battle with Alitalia on the horizon...

But, all the pain, bad luck and difficult good byes aside, we have now arrived! Arriving yesterday morning we could have been mistaken as extras from a zombie film, but after a good meal of south american steak and beers, a long afternoon nap and further good night's sleep I woke up today feeling rather more human and able to appreciate the amazing city we find ourselves in. To put it simply I adore Rio. Our apartment (5 of our friends from London have joined us for the first part of our trip; a week in Rio and 5 days in Ilha Grande) is right on Copacobana beach and I had completely forgotten how much I love the beach. That coupled with the completely bonkers atmoshpere and the amazing bloco parties in the city that accompanies Carnival and I am seriously smitten- and that's before we have even made it to the Sambadrome for the main event tomorrow night. It's well past my bed time, so am going to sign off for the night, but look forward to filling you on Carnival as it unfolds.

Tags: carnival, rio

About jdwestonarnold


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.