Existing Member?

India 101

deja vu, eh?

INDIA | Monday, 3 December 2007 | Views [420] | Comments [3]

So... Mumbai again.. I'm just passing through this time but it's strange to be back where i started.  Everything looks so different.  It's hotter, cleaner, under construction, and the family that stayed under the hotel is probably kicked out as the sidewalk where they slept is under construction also.. Nice to see the sea, though..

Anyhow I only have about 15 min. so I'll try to sum up.. First of all, the bus from Pushkar to Udaipur was fun.. sleeping sitting up for 8 or 10 hours, i forget. But i met an Israeli kid who had been with me in the Trika Yoga class in Rishikesh.. so we were talking.. and then when we arrived, we (Batiste, me, the Israeli (Amir), and a kid from Iran).  And then we all stayed in the same hotel and hung out together and it was funny.. we all laughed about the fact that this Iranian kid (Fab is his nickname) was sitting around a table and sharing a room with his country's supposed worst enemy(ies).. That's what india's all about.. France, USA, Israel, and Iran.. Sitting around a table eating chappati and dal and sabji. 

Anyhow Udaipur was nice.. Very tourist-y. All the hotels play Octopussy, the old James Bond flick with Roger Moore, because part of it is set in Udaipur with the Monsoon Palace and all that jazz.. and we did the tourist thing and saw the monsoon palace, and the imitation village they set up for tourists.. and that good stuff.. We ate on the Lakeshore at a honeymooners place called, ironically, Lakeshore ;op.. and played guitar and watched Octopussy and had a general good time.. saw many weddings the night before i left, as it was an auspicious day by the stars and planets for weddings, so there were many.. including one which rented out the city palace (a huge building which used to be the raj's).. so yeah.. anyhow.. that's that.. Then the travel arrangements from Udaipur were ridiculously expensive.. the sleeper bus (which took almost 18 hours with traffic) was 1200 rupees, and the train ticket for tonight (with a very hefty commission) was nearly 800.. so overall 2000 rupees to get to Goa by tomorrow.. But.. it was worth it / necessary as my time is running out.

Danielle and I are trying to work out getting me on a flight.. Probably the 15th Dec.  So.. with any luck i'll be back in the USSR.. ha.. Beatles.. the same day.. yeah.. usa.. anyways it's hot and i have to waste about 10 hours in mumbai so wish me luck.. Cheers!

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hey Josh, it is probably too late to find out but what so auspicious about the days everyone was marrying?? Is it astrological??? I know that Indian astrology is different from Western astrology.
It sounds like your time in Mumbai was really fun! Well,treasure these days and know you are loved and missedxoxoxoDonna

  donna Dec 4, 2007 1:14 AM

2

Dear Joshie,

Checking up on you. Thanks for replying to my e-mail and hopefully you can get out here for XMas. Please try. Things are better and hopefully tomorrow we'll both be in San Jose...Anyway, I'll report your blog to mom. Internet access on my laptop is not working, so I cant show her your blog...Love you

  Gabby Dec 5, 2007 6:02 AM

3

Josh: Gabby has been wheeling me around for lunch in the bing dining room where the CEO of the hospital came up to say hi just as I put bread in my mouth. How embarrassing! Anyway, glad I got dressed for lunch rather than going in my hospital nightie and bathrobe. I'm feeling better but still tired. Can't seem to get the meds right yet so I have to stay another day and then will have to come back twice a week. I miss you immensely but enjoy reading about your adventures. I think you are right about the youth of different countries hanging out together. When do we learn to hate each other? and Why? Saw an interesting interview of Pakistani youth which was similar to your experience.
Hope you can come for Christmas. I'll talk to Amanda about it. Love you. Mom

  mom Dec 5, 2007 9:43 AM

About jdemers26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.