Existing Member?

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much Welcome to my e-version of Dr. King's inescapable network of mutuality...

Reflections

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Saturday, 4 April 2009 | Views [325] | Comments [1]

3Abril09

Reflections

Well, first of all, I can’t believe its time for reflections already.  It’s like I just got here (one might say that about my Spanish!), and here I am already ‘reflecting.’  The good thing about sabbatical is that I actually have time for reflection most days.  Here, though, I try to keep my memory short and reflect only on the day’s events (what new words I learned, how blue the sky was, how crisp the rain, how brilliant a flower, or how nice some passerby’s cologne smelled). 

I have a friend who told me that six months was too short for sabbatical and that I should travel for a year.  I believed him (sort of); though I didn’t change my plan – mostly because I had only budgeted for 8months of income-less-ness.  But now I can truly say I understand how much time it takes just to shake off the newness of a place; and that has to factor in to your travel and down time.  I’m really just starting get into a rhythm here; nonetheless, I’m off to Costa Rica in 10days for new adventures.  If I could teleport myself back to day one, here are the things I would have told myself about my DR trip.…

Ø Most people here really are that hospitable – they’re not just chatting you up to rob you (as your travel book may suggest)

Ø That overly nice guy from the airport will become interesting company

Ø Find a language partner/tutor soon (I didn’t start with one until my 3rd or 4th wk here)

Ø You’ll learn more from stumbling through conversations with people than from books

Ø My cell phone has a radio! which is one of the things ive been missing from home… (that may have helped my spanish along too, eh?)

Ø When riding in taxis, save yourself the trouble and only look out the side window

Ø Call that lady from the Samana trip sooner – her and her circle of friends are perfectly hilarious!

Ø No walk is too far when u have a bottle of water and no schedule to keep

Ø Taking out clothes to make room for the yoga mat will be a good investment

Ø Serás reina de las habichuelas :)

 

 

 

 jt:)

 

 

Comments

1

Time flies when you are having fun! :) It looks like the first stretch of your sabbatical was quite a success and eventhough in retrospect you might have done things differenty, your noted experiences were quite extensive. I am waiting "with baited breath" for the next saga. Keep on keeping on!! LOve, MOm

  dtucker Apr 28, 2009 1:12 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.