Existing Member?

Mini Guide to the Beach at Monterosso al Mare

The Quiet of an Autumn Beach

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

On a rainy afternoon in September, after dreaming of visiting the five beautiful Italian coast towns known as Cinque Terre, Italy, I finally got to spend a few short hours there. I was studying abroad in Florence for the semester, and my school had planned a brief trip to these picturesque towns. Even on a dreary day with many closed hiking trails, there was something special about Cinque Terre that made me feel like I had to go back.

At the end of October, I got the chance to return to these stunning towns. I arrived in Monterosso al Mare, the largest town of Cinque Terre, excited to spend a few days there. After taking several wrong trains (and even traversing a few wrong train stations), lying on the beach made for a perfect afternoon. I could feel the warm autumn sun beating down on me as I lay in the soft sand. I listened to the waves lap against the shore, and I didn’t have a care in the world. My only distraction was the occasional graceful paraglider floating through the sky. I watched each glider as they slowly grew from a distant speck to a smiling person tucking their legs close to their bodies in preparation for landing.

It was the off-season, so there were very few people around. I realized that spending a day soaking up the sun without the busyness of the city helped me to connect with Italian culture. I was able to talk with the locals and watch them live their daily lives. I experienced the small town community of Monterosso without being distracted by all the tourists that visit in the warmer months. The temperature was perfect for relaxing in the sand and hiking the scenic trails.

During my October visit, I was able to identify the special feeling in Cinque Terre that made me feel like I had to go back. It is Cinque Terre’s small-town feel that makes it so welcoming. Especially in the off-season, Cinque Terre doesn’t feel like the massively popular tourist destination that it is. And even September with all its tourist traffic, Cinque Terre still managed to feel like a hidden gem. It offers a colorful mix of deep green forests, golden beaches, pastel houses, friendly faces, and incredible food.

I encourage anyone travelling through Italy in the spring or fall not to overlook the spectacular towns of Cinque Terre simply because they are typically considered a summer destination. These towns have a way of making you feel at home in paradise that is even more magnificent in the quiet of the off-season.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About jchristensen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.