Existing Member?

Postcards from Paris

Its Turtle Time in Xpu Ha!

MEXICO | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [319] | Scholarship Entry

For reasons I don’t understand I’ve found that most peoples idea of a relaxing holiday does not mean digging a two foot hole in the sand with your hands. If only people knew what kind of experiences they could fall into if they stepped away from the itinerary. Seriously step away from the itinerary.

On this particular trip thats exactly what happened.

Air BnB settled us in Chan Cheymuil, Mexico next to the house of a determined Oklahoman woman, Rozanne, who moved there to save sea turtles. My two girlfriends and I latched on with a coo. She obliged our incessant pleas to tag along the beaches of Xpu Ha where she and Guillermo, the mother Theresa of turtles, had created a nursery to increase the percentage of hatchlings that reach the ocean.  The luminosity of new residences and businesses mimic the moonlight and, distract turtles from their innate survival path--to go seaward.

          After witnessing two nests of turtles hatch I was hooked on becoming Rozanne and Guillermo's protege after a morning of sand digging, relocating eggs and chauffeuring tiny turtles. My friends flew home to Philadelphia and I stayed on, superglued to the volunteer duo - running for stakes, carrying buckets, and cleaning ant ravaged nests. I gave them no choice but to induct me into the group.

        On my last night at Xpu Ha beach with Guillermo we led a mission of fifteen curious tourists to experience this emancipation. By the time we had reached the sand, gusts of a spawning hurricane sent thirteen of the hopeful turtle watchers fleeing back to their rooms. And then there were two: Guillermo...and myself. He checked in with me but, my definitive nod charged us on our way. The adrenaline rush empowered us to slice through the rain like machetes. We hatched over five hundred turtles -our eyes wide as the tiny reptilians finned their ways through eggshell. 
        
        Even premium ponchos would have kept us dry. Lightning flickered, teasing the bioluminescent plankton that glowed between my toes. Within a few feet of the tide we primed our Lagerheads and Blancas for release. The cutest army you'll ever see teetered their way toward the moon's reflection on the Gulf of Mexico. A cuteness offset by the improbable journey to adulthood.

It was after this trip that I realized to trust my gut, especially when it comes to traveling. Buy the one way ticket and see what happens. For me it was jumping out of bed at 6 AM to Guillermo outside yelling, “We have turtles!”.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About jcaro


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.