Existing Member?

Show Us your Craic! -'Australia'! John and Deirdra

Why are Ozzy towns all called "Wooliewollegoolywoowoo"?!

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 3 September 2008 | Views [781]

Woolgoolga

Reminding ourselves that we were past the half-way point in our Ambassador adventure, clocking up K’s now became our number one priority. We whizzed through Coffs Harbour, stopping only on my insistence and childish urge to take a photo of myself with the Big Banana! (A few months ago I’d snapped one with the Western Australia’s ‘Big Prawn’ and was going for the set.) After a quick ring around, we got a caravan park that was open past 6pm and our destination was set- Woolgoolga…or “wooliewolie wat?” to Deirdra. (See video) Lonely Planet Guidebook Experience: Solitary Marine Reserve at Woolgoolga point. The next day we headed for the local beach and the headland and were literally blown away by the views and the wind. In front of us waves thumped down and exploded on black weather beaten rocks, above us seagulls hovered motionless like puppets against the force of the wind and salt water spray slowly misted the lens of my camera. We sat there for about an hour, watching the massive waves. The sight was amazing. After we drove down to the small town and as all the locals seemed to be doing the same, we made a Barbie on the beach and took in the pleasant weather with a sausage and a beer. Next we headed for Byron Bay.

About jca


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.