Existing Member?

Show Us your Craic! -'Australia'! John and Deirdra

Lonely Planet Guidebook Experience -Queen Victoria Market

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 31 July 2008 | Views [994]

We arrived here on Friday just before lunchtime. As we approached, the pavements were filled with icey-cold metal café furniture, adorned with well wrapped Melbournians chomping on pieces of premium meat and fine cheeses encased in pastry parcels. We were both starving at this point so the search for food began.

Inside the first hall it was all food vendors –it was great.

After a bit of faffing we settled on a couple of croissants and a hot drink –I dipped mine in a great Hot Chocolate- mmmm.

Next we headed to the clothing market towards the rear of the area and passed by an interesting few animal stalls.

Deirdra did as I had and brought no winter clothes with her. The coldness of Melbourne hit her as soon as she steped out of the airport and now was the time to stock up on warm gear –while trying on hats, taking photos and generally chancing our arm.

After a while and one hoody up we headed for a little wine tasting, as everyone should endeavour to appreciate the art of the vineyard –plus we fancied getting tipsy.

A nice Sauvignon under our arm and we were ready to go.

It was a great intro to the city not only for Deirdra but for me as well. My dad was a market trader and you can definitely see what people talk about when they say Melb' is more European then other Ozzy cities. In fact I think it’s great! –like a cross between Amsterdam and New York,

..So far… So Good

Tags: ambassador van, drink, food, market, queen, shopping, victoria

About jca


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.