Existing Member?

From the heart, the hearth and home

Colombo, Colombo!

SRI LANKA | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [183] | Scholarship Entry

The landscape of Sri Lanka always takes you by surprise. From amongst a grove of trees may suddenly spring up the picturesque view of tranquil bodies of water rippling along. The clean yet somewhat narrow roads stretch on towards eternity promising us a boundless adventure ridden with surprises at every bend. These roads are lined with different hues of green and sometimes, a small boutique shop, a tiny kiosk selling tea, wadeis and other bohemian knickknacks too greeted our view. Once in a while the quaint sight of a bullock cart pulled without hurry by a magnificent beast with splendid horns can be seen at the side of the road, bells tinkling as it slowly trudges away.

Pettah & Fort

Arriving at Pettah, one is at the heart of this throbbing beehive of a city. Steeped in history, it is here that the Dutch and the English had based themselves and set up their financial capital. The old colonial buildings loomed all around us like silent giants, the wisdom of many eras carefully preserved within their silent bowels. It was hard not to feel overwhelmed by the grandeur of these elaborate buildings, magnificent in every way.
From cloths, leather items to fruits, everything under the sun can be obtained here for a very good price at the Pettah bazaar if you are intent on some bargain shopping. However, be ready to haggle. And put on your comfiest shoes since the market spreads across a very wide area.

Our next stop was the Wolfendhal church. Built in the 17th century, this was initially the residence of Count August Carl Van Ranzow and is now the oldest Protestant church in Sri Lanka. Stepping into its grand interior, it was hard not to feel transported to another time as reality gradually falls away. The experience was indeed mind numbingly wonderful.

Right at the heart of the city is the Galle Face Green, a beautiful stretch of beach dotted with vendors and people of all ages and sizes relaxing in the sea breeze. Walking on the paved pathway lining the beach, munching on spiced chickpeas bought from a food vendor along the way and lulling in the evening light of the day was exquisitely calming. We watched the mass of vibrantly coloured kites soaring skywards that provided an ideal backdrop to the setting sun. If you ever visit here, be sure to try the curious array of street food available along this stretch of land. Chances are you will certainly go back for more.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jay_senanayake


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.