Existing Member?

From Chicago with Love

Media and Healthcare

ECUADOR | Friday, 10 January 2014 | Views [337]

Over the last couple of days, we’ve been making trips to highlight the couple of topics we have discussed in class this week. The first was to Unsíon TV Station, I had never been to one to get to experience it. But when I had gotten there it was definitely more than what I was expecting out of a TV station in Ecuador. Also I was curious to know what we would being gaining access to, to see, seeing as we briefly talked about the role the media plays to the public. We learned that the government has a pretty big hand being held down upon some areas which limits the amount of information the public is hearing she they turn the television set on at home. When we were touring the Unsíon building we found out that it is a fairly new building and that they are only 10 years old and it is a privately owned station, which means that Cuencanos watching Unsíon aren’t going to get biased views or only half of a story because the government doesn't own a single part of the station. Which I thought was very interesting because you would think that President Correa would want to limit that kind of access to Ecuadorians. 

I found it very strange to know that that was a valid option here in Ecuador, whereas in the United States we have freedom of speech, where journalists can express whatever they want have it been positive or negative through newspapers, TV, radio and other forms. 

On the following day we got to step inside a level one hospital, which is the lowest level and means that absolutely no major surgeries are allowed to occur inside. If those measures need to be taken than they must prep them to be transferred to the nearest hospital for surgery. When we first walked inside I was expecting the hospital to be more welcoming with comfier chairs, literature to stay occupied and maybe so children's toys in the waiting room. I also thought that the hospital would be bigger and not simple one flood for how big the community that the hospital encompasses. We are used to hospitals that are stories high and more welcoming that what we experienced. But a benefit we heard was that the hospital was owned by the government which mean seeing a doctor was free and so were the medications. So the take it upon themselves to make sure that everyone knows that the hospital is free and they shouldn’t be worried to come and receive help. The only time I can think of where our hospital systems are like that in the United States is for Native Americans. By the look of the hospital inside and out, I would have assumed that the life expectance for an Ecuadorian was much lower than that of an American. We found out that they have an expectance of only two years shy that of Americans. 

But besides the more traditional approach to medications we also learn there are holistic ways to approach someones illness. Almost, if not everyone is family oriented in Ecuador and so an holistic approach is a easy way to incorporate your entire family to be in on the decision you need to make when seeing a shaman. We got to observe a shaman come to the school and show us how it all happens, all while using natural plants, herbs, and even rocks and wood to begin the ceremony. I don’t condone seeking medical attention this way, but it was a wonderful learning experience, and I’m glad I got to witness how many if not all indigenous Ecuadorians go about their healthcare.

About jasmint23


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.