Existing Member?

Livin' it up

First stop Hawaii

USA | Saturday, 16 June 2007 | Views [513]

Sorry its taken a while x

So, Hawaii was fab. Lots of sun and fun as well as adjusting to hostel living. Specifically, other travellers, the garbage man, the heat (including the police), and various other wildlife.

After a few days in tacky but lovely Waikiki we headed to the windward side of the island (Oahu) to our camping paradise of Malaekahana (friends of Hawaii), where we pitched the tent and kicked back by the beach and fire for a good while. Met some friendly locals - furry and otherwise. Marvelled and the hundreds of chooks and cats living in perfect harmony around the grounds. Cooked on the campfire and went to sleep to the sound of waves each night and woke for a morning swim. Nice warm outdoor showers with no roof so you could shower watching the stars or the birds! Sleeping arrangements were satisfactory until J punctured his blow up bed with his protective spear (don't ask) and woke up about 10cm lower than Dani!  

We hung out on the North Shore most days where the surf was small enough for amateurs to enjoy without injury! This place is so relaxed and reminds me of Byron Bay about 15 yrs ago. Loved the snorkelling at Sharks Cove and Wiamea Bay (and Hanauma Bay near Honolulu) and we swam with turtles so frequently that if they didn't show up we felt ripped off! So many cool fish too. Found this great cafe near sunset beach serving breakfast bowls of acai and granola with frozen yogurt, honey and fresh fruit - fattened up on those!

Saw Woody Harrelson outside his house on Sunset Beach - he didn't invite us in for a drink. Met the brunette chick from That 70's Show under strange circumstances - a long story about child beauty queens and Americans having a terrible time understanding Australian accents. She was alright. Stunning though.

So back in Waikiki we attempted to climb Diamond Head (the one in the photo- Fi), though there were a few set backs. Another long story about some teenage boys spitting on us on the bus and J being involved in the altercation and us alighting at the wrong stop. On our way to find the track we popped into a cute little boutique where the owner (a new age evangelist)overwhelmed Jarrod with video footage and literature (Title:to hell and back-my experiences of the afterlife) on the evangelical movements of the past 30 years. We would have left sooner only J lost tiny screw from sunglasses on shop floor. Picture us on hands and knees amongst sarongs and g strings looking for the damn screw while lady continues to rave about how she is the next big evangelist who is going to spread her messgae to the masses. We arrived home to 4 police cars and a few people in handcuffs on the doorstep of hostel. Just another day in the life of us!

So, for everyone who went to Dani's birthday this year - We finally kayaked! Well actually J kayaked and D spent much of time admiring amazing scenery of Kailua Bay! Thank god for double kayaks. It was so exhausting, but a full body massage by the beach was enough to realign D's shoulders! D thoroughly recommends kayaking, J still recovering!

Dani's Favourite Things in Hawaii

1. cool locals in out of the way places

2. being underwater with fish, turtles, slugs, sea snakes, coral etc.

3. sun and sunset

4. cheap alcohol

Things Dani Could Do Without in Hawaii

1. Bus service (timing of)

2. Healthy food more expensive than fast food (but o.k because of point 4 above)  

3. too many tattoos and breast implants (Waikiki) 

4. That old chestnut - SAND (in your eyes/pants/bed) 

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About jarrod_dani


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.