Existing Member?

Baby Bucket List

Why are we doing this again ....?

NETHERLANDS | Sunday, 24 November 2013 | Views [237]

We like to travel and over the years have been lucky enough to go to a variety of places.  I suppose the fact that neither my husband nor I even got on a plane until we were in our early twenties is the driving force behind our delight in dragging our son off to exotic and reasonably far flung places.

 

Two weeks short of his second birthday he took him to Australia and what does he remember?  Sitting on his dad's shoulders on Hamilton Island, where the wild kangaroos come out at night to nibble on the lawns, calling "Kanga, where are you?".  And that's it ! 

 

Here we are, nearly seventeen years later, and we will take him back for one last family holiday.  Afterall, which self respecting 19 year old wants to travel with mum and dad when the world is open to him and his friends for exploration.  So this is it, one last hurrah, the holiday to end all our family holidays and a chance to visit places and do things that are on our bucket list. 

 

I suspect that the next time we holiday with James will be when he has a family of his own, and I hope I am not using a zimmer frame by then.  So roll on December .... I can't wait; a week in Bali, 2 weeks in Australia culminating in New Year's Eve in Sydney, and then we go back the long way and spend 10 days in Hawaii. Three holidays in one, a wealth of sights to discover and experiences to enjoy, foods to taste and hospitality to marvel at. 

 

I hope to try body boarding as I can't see myself balancing on a surf board, finally after an epic 10 year search to finally see some whales (an in-family joke - so many fruitless whale watching trips - so much sea sickness!), to try sea kayaking and maybe, just to find some time to look out over the horizon and watch the sun go down over the Pacific.

 

I hope I have the stamina to keep up .... I'll let you know how I get on :-)

About janec

This is me

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.