Existing Member?

Journalist_photographer

Colombian breakfast

COLOMBIA | Saturday, 26 April 2014 | Views [284] | Scholarship Entry

The first time when i went to South America, i dreamed of sea fruits and exotic dishes. Breakfast in Spanish is el desauno. Since South America - a continent where the sun sets early at 6 pm , the locals get up very early in 6-7 am. Accordingly, early in the morning and have breakfast on the run almost . Depends on this diet and food intake : it should be fast and satisfying. Moreover, in Colombia is very common breakfast and lunch in the cafe (although these places more like a street eatery), because there are special offers in the form of kits and business lunches . The average price for breakfast from 2000 to 10 000 pesos (1-5$).
Thus, the standard home-cooked breakfast is fresh batch of confectionery with different fillings ( cheese, cinnamon, jam), 1-2 eggs scrambled with ham and tomatoes, fruit salad or sandwich with ham and plastic cheese. Of drinks for breakfast brewed cocoa drink on the cheese with milk and cinnamon, instant coffee only with milk or tinto (coffee on the water), yogurt or Abena (liquid oatmeal -like sweet vanilla yogurt ). For breakfasts rarely drink fresh juices.
But apart from such Europeanized breakfast in Colombia there is a traditional serving dish called Tamal. This mixture is wrapped in banana bag, sold and cooked in a special container on the broth. Itself consists of a filling of mashed potatoes, corn porridge, chicken breast and pork, cumin, green onions and garlic, rice, green solid peas, carrots and sliced 1 egg. Yes, when you eat this dish, so do not think how much it is. But it is very tasty! Portions are large - it's great: as in cafes and restaurants and local eateries.
If you want to have breakfast in the coffee shop, the best coffee in Colombia is Juan Valdez Cafe. There truly magnificent brew coffee, both hot and cold coffee drinks, which can be eaten along with cake or cheesecakes.
As for a quick breakfast "on the go", here in Colombia is rich. On the way to work every step possible to find Arepas (corn pie with cheese inside), empanada (fried patty with rice and potatoes with chicken or meat inside), arroz con leche (rice milk with raisins and cinnamon), and any pastries from "panaderiya and postre" (local bakeries). The price of these quick snacks on average about 1,000 pesos ($ 0.5).
A cook fruit salad is not difficult, because the abundance of fruits and vegetables in this country just is. Most often, fruit salad seasoned cream de leche.
Where will you have breakfast the next morning? See you in Columbia.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jane_chuikina


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.