Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Week 6-Germany

GERMANY | Friday, 10 August 2012 | Views [580]


We drove out of the Black Forest to Waldkirch early to a Ford dealership, hoping to have Dusty looked over. After a look under the hood and a quick drive around the block, they decided there was nothing wrong with him (we were annoyed as every time he gets hot there is a knocking sound in the clutch and occasionally the accelerator sticks). We took a phone number off them (for Ford Dealership details in Germany) and decided to drive onto Rust, to spend the day at Europa theme park.

Europa Park was amazing. Much better than Eurodisney, it was divided into European countries and was decorated to reflect each countries point of difference. The first ride we took was the Silver Star, designed by Mercedes Benz. Given it had no big 360 degree loops I decided to join James. It turns out it was the highest (73 metres) and fastest (130km/hour)ride in Europe. I was shaking for the next half an hour it was so intense! It did not help we were in the back row.

After this experience the rest of the rides were a breeze! 11 Rollercoaster’s in all and we did 9 of them (the last two were for small children). Our favourite was the Blue Fire, which accelerated you immediately into a high turn that twisted you left on the way down before a 360 degree loop. And we also rode our first wooden roller coaster with an insane drop whilst maintaining a really high speed. We were there riding rides solid from 10am-8.30 pm until the point of exhaustion! Definitely James’ favourite day of the trip so far. Tired, we spent the night free camping outside a Petrol station alongside other campervans.

We drove onto to Stuttgart and visited the Porsche Museum (choosing this over the Mercedes Benz museum). It was a really interesting and interactive museum with great stories about the family run business. We had photos taken in a Porsche 911 and had another tasty lunch of schnitzel and currywurst here. We drove on towards Nuremburg, stopping 50km East of Stuttgart to a camping ground in Essingen. The campground was lovely and we had the biggest pitch yet (it could have held 4 Dusty’s). James was particularly fond of the two tabby cats walking around the campsite.

The next day we arrived in Nurenburg and headed straight for the Documenstrum-a museum held in one of the old Nazi buildings Hitler built to host his Nazi meetings. The museum spoke of Hitler’s rise and fall and showed footage of the buildings in use, all supersized but bleak and ugly to look at. Afterwards we walked around some of these buildings, it was very easy to imagine what it would have been like. Interestingly, these buildings were left standing to remind us of their past but at the same time they are put to some use, albeit a road or a football field or a park. Grass was growing out of the sides of the buildings so it was clear that although they are left standing there was no significant care of attention given to them.

We checked into our campground, which turned out to be around the corner (and still on old Nazi territory), which was a sobering feeling. And at a cost of 32 euro’s, our most expensive campground to date. Annoyingly they did not have great facilities, but as it was the closest to town they were able to mark the price up. We also spotted our first woodpecker there. We took the underground into town and walked around the Old Town, another beautiful setting (I imagine the Christmas markets here would be beautiful). We also stopped for dinner sampling delicious smoked sausages and pork knuckle.

Given Berlin was around 400km away, we drove the next day, most of the day but did stop at a small university town called Bamburg to sample their own local beer-smoked beer. We walked through the Old Town and found a pub famous for their beer. You could get white or dark beer but as our waitress spoke little English we got what we were given-dark beer and a ploughman’s platter. It smelt smoked and tasted like bacon. It was so tasty we bought a six pack of both to take home.  We drove on closer to Berlin and free camped outside a service station, huddled between trucks, other campers and caravans. I managed to cook an Austrian-German-Netherlands dish in the van called heaven and earth-mashed potato with bacon, onion, pear and butter. Was not as good as our first sample of this dish three years ago but tasty all the same.

We arrived in Potsdam the next day, which is a town just outside Berlin. We took a ferry cruise in an old steamboat up the Tiefer Sea past many of the old Royal Palaces. After, we walked through Sanssouci Park to view the impressive Sanssouci Palance and gardens, which was so grand it reminded us of Peterhof Palace and gardens in St Petersburg, Russia. After snacking on currywurst and ice creams we made our way back to the campground for an early night.

The next three days (and four nights) we spent in Berlin. The first day we joined a Bike tour which was great for orientating us to the city itself and took us past the major monuments; the 200m remains of the Berlin wall, the Jewish memorial, Checkpoint Charlie (the USA manned border that divided the East from the West) and we also enjoyed a tasty lunch of bratwurst and meatloaf, beers and topped off with a nice slice of apple cake. We had a great tour guide (an English girl who came out for a weekend and ended up staying) and some great people on the tour. We met a nice couple from Farrow Islands (an island between Demark and United Kingdom which is its own country) who were also travelling around Europe but were backpacking instead. And some very funny twin gentlemen in their 60’s from New York, who fought with each other the whole way around. It reminded me of my brothers fighting with each other as kids! We left the tour and went up the large Television tower built by the East as a landmark of dominance, or so it was suggested. At 368m high it had a great view of Berlin. Given the communist rule until 1990, the city reminded us a lot of Russia, with large roads and lots of open space and huge bland buildings. We spent the evening at a local pub watching the Olympics (with some Brits) and saw Ussain Bolt win the 100 sprint-yet again.

The next day we visited the Topography of Terror-the former site of the Secret Service and Gestapo Police in World War Two. We learnt about the goings on inside the building itself, which held people in cells and it highlighted the way they used humiliation and torture to those who did not support the Nazi party. Pretty ugly and heavy information but very interesting learning. We balanced this by spending the afternoon at Berlin Zoo, one of the World’s top 10 zoos. It was great and they had some neat displays, such as the hippos with a glass wall under the water so you could watch them when immersed. We also saw some amazing birds; condors, owls and eagles, plus some very funny and strange looking monkeys, mainly from South America. Shame they didn’t have any kiwis in the nocturnal section.The last day we spent at the Jewish memorial, which had a great display of Jewish life pre and post war and some very personalised sections where they showed you the lives of 15 Jewish families from across Europe that were affected. This showed that whole families were lost in the holocaust, just so devastating.

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;}

We walked back to Checkpoint Charlie and then onto the Stasi Museum, which showed files of people who attempted to cross the wall from East to West and were caught. Then onto the DDR museum which showed how life was during communist rule. All really interesting. After more snacks on bratwurst, we headed home, too exhausted to try out the nightlife. 

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.