Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Week 3-Spain

SPAIN | Sunday, 22 July 2012 | Views [365] | Comments [1]


After a late start we drove 250km along the coast to Santa Pola, another beach town. We diverted at Fuente Alamo, a small town that very rarely saw tourists by the looks of things and at a tasty lunch of tapas and a set menu. The tapas were the most tasty to date and included squid in a rich red wine and tomato sauce, prawns with mushrooms and ham, a plate that tasted like bacon and egg pie minus the pastry, pork in a tomato sauce and more empanadas.  Unfortunately the set menu did not impress as much as the tapas but I did get to try the thicker version of Gazpatcho soup (cold tomato soup) after thinking I was ordering salmon! The joys of not understanding Spanish. The highlight was when the lovely waitress gave us a free shot of Limonchello, which knocked the socks off us. A great cultural experience we had all been seeking after many days in the tourist zone.  Before arriving at Santa Pola we took a detour to Mamina, a 22km lagoon which was nothing to write home about.

At Santa Polo we arrived to a welcome greeting at the campground. A lovely man served us and escorted us to our pitch at the back of the long campground. Emma and I joined the man on his golf buggy, a very zippy electric buggy. The campsite had new bathroom facilities and it was very tidy-the best campground to date. And at a cost of 36 euro for four people, it was the best value for money. The man also informed us it was a fiesta day today-a public holiday for the locals and mentioned fireworks. After a picnic dinner of bread, cured meats, cheese, olives and tortilla, we walked 20 minutes into town at 11pm to see the town buzzing with families and many elderly. Although not the best we had seen we all agreed the fireworks display was fairly good for a small beach town. James made a purchase of bombitas; small bombs that explode with impact which all the children had and had fun terrorising us all with them. Good harmless fun.

After a sleep in we headed for the beach and had a swim. We found a good emporium store beside the beach and managed to purchase a padder tennis set (really popular in Spain) and also some number 9 wire (so James could fix the latch on Dusty’s bonnet). The boys played for ages in the water with their padder tennis bats while Emma and I sunbathed. With many a topless lady, an obligatory stroll up the beach was in order before driving on towards Valencia.

Given Coll Vert, the camping ground on the outskirts of Valencia had a beach 5 minutes walk away we headed straight for a swim to be slightly bamboozled by many stark men and the odd naked woman on the beach. Turns out if you went left, it was a nudist area and also popular with the gay community. We headed back to the van where Maneesh and Emma had been chilling their champagne (a gift from us) which we drank before Emma and Maneesh shouted us a thank you dinner of Paella-the region most famous for it. After a couple of jugs of the best Sangria I have tasted, we had a midnight swim before calling it a night.

We caught the bus into Valencia and headed straight for the old town. With such beautiful apartment blocks, designer stores and flash cars you could definitely see the wealth of this city. We stumbled on the bull fighting ring and I saw a poster advertising the bull fighting for the month which I fell in love with. Intent on finding it, I had no such luck in any store. We also viewed the cathedral in the old town, which hosts a couple of interesting artefacts; Saint Vincent the Martar’s right arm (which looked really blackened and shrivelled, sealed in a glass cabinet) and the Holy Grail-the chalice used by Christ at the Last Supper.  We found a great food market not far from here and collected a few supplies, olives, pimentos, empanadillas etc before walking to Gulliver, a giant sized brightly sculpted playground and then onto the impressive entertainment based cultural and architectural complex, containing the opera house, a science museum, an Imax theatre, an aquarium and a sports arena. It was an amazing stamp on modern architecture and a definite must see. Tired, we headed back to the camping ground and had a swim and another paella before bed.

We decided to spend a little more time in Valencia so the boys and girls parted ways for the morning. James and Maneesh headed to the Science Musuem and Emma and I went back into town to do some shopping. Unfortunately for the boys the museum did not open early enough to go through it so they headed back to camp to wait for us. Emma and I were more successful, with Emma purchasing a nice leather handbag and we sampled some breakfast tostada (toasted baguette with diced blanched tomato on top) and a coffee and red tea. I was on the hunt for the bullfighter artwork so we tried the bullfighting museum behind the stadium but no luck. We happened to then walk past their administration office and admire the poster once more. Within a minute a lady walked out and said, un momento, and came back with a copy of the poster for me. I was stoked! We headed back to camp and then returned to the city in the afternoon, the boys attending the science museum and Emma and I viewing the wharf which hosted the 2007 America’s Cup (and the small museum there) and relaxed on the beach. Given the Science museum was quite new the boys were well impressed with it.

After leaving Valencia to head closer to Barcelona, we saw dusty look a like who beeped at us which was cool. We were beginning to find people were recognising us by the New Zealand sticker we have on the back window, including Mario, the camping ground owner at a small town called St Carles de la rapita on the Catalyn Coast. Turns out Mario had spent three weeks in New Zealand last year so we automatically hit it off and he gave us the best position in the camp ground-right on the waterfront. Fantastic! He also told us of a fiesta the town was having the next day, with a parade and the main feature being a type of bull fight where the bull is involved in a tug of war with people and they tie flaming ….to it’s head. Aparently this is still allowed (as bullfighting is banned in Catalona region) because it does not harm the bull and the bull lives.

Due to time constraints we could not stay for the fiesta, catching the parade which was very small and then drove out to the wetlands to see our first flamengo’s in the wild. Such a pretty bird.

We drove to Barcelona (going through our first toll roads) and checked Emma and Maneesh into their hotel. We decided to free camp outside which meant we could all sightsee together that evening. We spent our last night together walking to the Segranda Familia ( a church designed by Antonio Guadi) and watching the magic fountain-both of which James and I had seen on our first trip to Europe three years ago and had recommended. It was nice being back to see the developments on the church and we topped it off with a nice meal out together.

 After a restless and hot nights sleep free camping outside Emma and Maneesh’s Barcelona Hotel, we all had breakfast together in the van and drove out to Montserrat and took a train up into the hills, 800 metres above sea level. The monastery was beautiful but rather developed into a tourist attraction, with roads, cars, cafes and souvenir stores abundant. We visited the basilica which was in the middle of mass, and then headed for a 20 minute walk to view the monastery perched on the cliffs. We also saw these moths in the garden that looked like miniature humming birds, you could easily have mistaken them they were quite amazing. After lunch we headed back down the hill and said farewell to our mates who were Barcelona bound. We drove off with a toot and arrived in Perpignan four hours later and settled in at a quiet and dark campsite-made for a good nights sleep.

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;}

 

 

Comments

1

Your having a great holiday! I am so pleased the kiwi in the back window is getting noticed. Also pleased it was in a separate parcel!
Enjoying reading the blog. love mum

  Mum/Tricia Jul 23, 2012 11:27 AM

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.